The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

This is RAF Condover, photographed at lunchtime today.

It was used for flying from August 1942 to June 1945, operating three runways, mostly for training. Today most of the site is occupied by a riding stables, Berriewood Farm, who lease out much of the former runway area to a solar farm operator.

The control tower survives and is visible bottom right in the photo. It was up for sale a few years ago, and my understanding is it was indeed sold, although it still looks derelict.

According to Wikipedia and various other web pages, one hangar still survives. You will struggle to see it in the photo, but so far as I can tell it’s a blister hangar in amongst the industrial estate buildings towards the top right - it’s just about possible to make it out from Google Streetview. In the photo it’s just visible behind a large green/white industrial shed at the left-hand edge of the industrial area.

I’m happy to lose the point for the hangar if the judges consider that it is “one original hangar building” rather than “the original Hanger buildings” (there were originally ten and only one survives).

3 Likes