The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

Seconded.

I registered today in an attempt to find the link to my entry for item 25 - Amesbury being accepted into the GBoWR as the oldest continually inhabited area in the UK.

I had taken the picture on the basis of the various reports from reasonably reputable sources:

BBC News

The Council for British Archaeology

The Guardian

History.com

Stonehenge and Amesbury Druids

and the less reputable

Daily Mail online

6 Likes

Thanks! :+1:

Less than 8 days / 16 entries to go! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Seconded

Thirded. Totally impossible to find records that I know exist.

Potentially - 47 points can be had in that time.

Anyone still looking for a split screen VW?, will be plenty up here in Norfolk this weekend at “The Pigs” !.

1 Like

Worked for me :grinning:

You going to tell us where the ploughing is as well eh Chris :grinning:

2 Likes

Claiming 1 point, photo taken from the dropped pin.

1 Like

You will not have to go far to find a “ Traker”

1 Like

Just up the road in Tesco

2 Likes

Full Leader-board updated.

[1] @McSteamy2010 [40 points]
[2] @Steviegeek [38 points]
[3] @macspite [34 points]
[4] @kvetner [28points]
[5] @Neil79 [27 points]
[6] @Fatboy [22 points]
[7] @Meondrone [20 points]
[8] @lee [17 points]
[9] @stevesb [14 points]
[10] @WeeJubya [13 points]
[11] @TonyDM [9 points]
[12=] @scorps [8 points]
[12=] @JoeC [8 points]
[14=] @Drones-CL [4 points]
[14=] @anon52324101 [4 points]
[16] @ChrisC2 [3 points]
[17] @Jhdee [2 points]
[18] @Richmighty [1 point]

(E&OE)

3 Likes

It’s the 5th March, 1877, and Wales are playing Scotland at the Welsh home football ‘stadium’, the Racecourse Ground, in Wrexham. This is only the second time the two teams have played each other, the previous game being nearly a year ago when Scotland handed out a 4-0 drubbing at Hamilton Crescent, Partick.

For the 1877 match, Scotland start with some of their finest players, from great clubs like Dumbreck FC, Mauchline FC, Vale of Leven FC, and the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers FC. Wales field players from Oxford University AFC, Cambridge University FC, and of course the mighty Ruabon Druids FC.

55 minutes in, and Wales are already on the back foot, going one goal down to a strike from the Scottish captain, Charlie Campbell. Could Wales avoid losing for a second time? In the 75th minute, finally, Oxford’s Willie Evans becomes one of the first Welshmen to put the ball in the net in an international game! Sadly … his own net.

The match finished 2-0 to Scotland. It would be another 28 years before Wales would beat Scotland, 3-1, again playing at Wrexham’s Racecourse Ground in 1905.

All of which is a long preamble before saying that the Racecourse Ground, Wrexham, holds the Guinness World Record as the Oldest International Football Ground Still in Use.

Photo captured this morning.

4 Likes

This is RAF Condover, photographed at lunchtime today.

It was used for flying from August 1942 to June 1945, operating three runways, mostly for training. Today most of the site is occupied by a riding stables, Berriewood Farm, who lease out much of the former runway area to a solar farm operator.

The control tower survives and is visible bottom right in the photo. It was up for sale a few years ago, and my understanding is it was indeed sold, although it still looks derelict.

According to Wikipedia and various other web pages, one hangar still survives. You will struggle to see it in the photo, but so far as I can tell it’s a blister hangar in amongst the industrial estate buildings towards the top right - it’s just about possible to make it out from Google Streetview. In the photo it’s just visible behind a large green/white industrial shed at the left-hand edge of the industrial area.

I’m happy to lose the point for the hangar if the judges consider that it is “one original hangar building” rather than “the original Hanger buildings” (there were originally ten and only one survives).

3 Likes

That should get accepted, :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Thinking of Steve’s @McSteamy2010 hangar, yours may get bounced :cry:
Good find though :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

1 Like

I was already pushing my range, no way I was going to get all the way over :joy:

2 Likes

Owww! Do we have to talk about this again :man_facepalming:t4::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Changing the subject …

I shot this yesterday morning, it’s a steam loco on the Llangollen Railway, entering a tunnel just north of Berwyn Station.

It’s a bit of a crappy video, stitched together from the few moments when I wasn’t wildly swinging the camera around trying to spot the train amongst the trees!

4 Likes