The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

My submission for item 15: A vineyard

I would like to claim the bonus point for a selfie pic included of me drinking wine at the vineyard

Hambledon Vineyard, PO7 4RY 07:50, Friday, August 07, 2020

Full disclosure: The selfie is of me, however the liquid in the glass is sunflower oil to give the impression of wine. As an alcoholic who has miraculously managed to stay sober since 15 March, 2005 I felt it inadvisable to strictly follow the rules of the competition to the letter. I would, however, appreciate the point!

Hambledon is famous as the reputed birthplace of cricket; Hambledon Cricket Club was founded in 1750 and soon became the most powerful club in the country. In taking on the responsibility for developing the laws of modern-day cricket – including such introductions as length bowling and the addition of a third stump, and the regulation of bat width! – the club earned its reputation as “the cradle of cricket”, a title by which it is still known. It is this history and reputation which today draws cricketers (including visiting Test teams) and cricket lovers from around the world on a pilgrimage to Hambledon – especially to the Bat & Ball pub where club meetings were once held and such laws drafted.

The current Hambledon ground is at ridge meadow, clearly seen in this takeoff location photo

7 Likes