The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

I hadn’t thought of flying at a distance and zooming in :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: would a Zenmuse X5 fit onto a inspire 1 v2.0?

I assume this would have a greater zoom capacity. If so this opens up an UNESCO site for me :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1::+1::ok_hand:

2 Likes

18: An RAF Airfield
Claiming 3 points please
RAF Bottesford
9th August at 11:55am
Take Off Location: 52.973389, -0.768105

RAF Bottesford is a former Royal Air Force station located on the Leicestershire-Lincolnshire county border.
Opened in 1942, it was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Forces (USAAF). During the war it was used primarily as a troop carrier airfield for paratroopers and as a bomber airfield before closing in 1948.
Today the remains of the airfield are located on private property with the technical site being used as an industrial estate.
Today, the technical site buildings are operated as an industrial facility. Runways, all of which still exist with just a small amount of concrete (mostly dispersal loops) being removed for hardcore.
The perimeter track and two T-2 hangars still exist, being used for unknown purposes. The former airfield control tower has been restored and is now used as offices.

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/B/Bottesford.htm

3 Likes

Just checking, but when exactly is the deadline to enter all 25 submissions with most of the bonus points? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Seriously, there are some epic entries this year…well done chaps… Fore notice… Funds permitting, gloves are off for 2021!

3 Likes

It is all in the first post.

I have an X5 camera for my Inspire but the X5 with a standard DJI lens doesn’t have optical zoom.

You’ll need a zoom lens on the X5, or a Zenmuse Z3 camera which has native optical zoom built in.

I just so happen to know a guy in the north west who can do a short term hire on a Z3 at a cracking price :wink:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: I wonder who that could be…

I have an inspire 1 Pro and 2 Parrot anfi’s sat in a store room in work. I was tempted to borrow the camera off the pro, but It doesn’t sound like It would make a difference. Thanks for the reply and the offer :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

I know… Was just kidding. Was a bit sneaky when I won last year and went in hard at the end to win the coveted 1st place.

I’ve had a bunch of queries to see if I’m doing the same this year but despite being too busy, it did feel slightly hollow last year and not in the spirit of the comp… So let the best pilot win… Or… :rofl:

2 Likes

The X5 takes a limited range of lenses. The recommended zoom is a 14-42 which is equivalent to a 28 to 84mm on a full-frame camera. DJI do not recommend the lens for filming as the zoon control consists of an on-screen slider which gives a jerky motion. It is primarily used for inspection when it is easier / safer to zoom on a subject rather than fly close.

If you film in 4k it is easy enough to zoom and select areas of the subject during post-processing. Taking one-quarter of the picture area reduces 4k resolution to 1080 so quality loss isn’t easily seen, especially on YouTube videos.

The iInspitr Pto was designed for the X5. It has a different gimbal mount to the Inspire 1 v1.0 and 2.0 which were designed for the X3 only although many have been upgraded with the mount for the X5 and “high heels” to increase ground clearance. It is very difficult and expensive to find conversion kits nowadays.

Slightly easier to find is the Z3 - a zoom version of the X3. Or go mad and get a Matrice and a Z30 - a 30x zoom.

But it is a LOT cheaper to do it in post :).

1 Like

I have just measured and the distance is less than I thought at 0.8 mile. Now I just need to find time!

For Stonehenge I could have been much wider as long as there was an attempt to frame the main subject. The whole area is a heritage site.

Maybe your site is an area rather than a wee building in which case as long as the picture looks as though an attempt at composition has been made there is no need to b*gger around with long lenses.

Note: This is my opinion - which has been known to differ from those of the judges :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t think why the rules were changed this year to only allow two entries per day :man_shrugging: :grimacing:

4 Likes

3: Monkey Puzzle tree
Claiming 2 points please
Private house, front garden, Coleshill
10th August at 2;20pm
Take Off Location: 52.508795, -1.714825

4 Likes

Lol… Love the sound effects :rofl:. Didn’t see that monkey until right at the end!

Glad you liked it :laughing:
Real monkey sound, daughter sent a video one night whilst in Borneo (I think!)
Just extracted the audio using Wave-Pad, It’s free HaHa
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A few nice entries there @Steviegeek :+1:t4:

Would of loved to of heard that conversation…:joy:

“Ermm… excuse me… may I take a video of your tree and put my teddy in it” :+1:t4::joy::joy: says middle age man.

2 Likes

It started with a note through the door, assuring the reader I was not trying to sell anything.
Pleasant telephone conversation followed
Box of chocolates handed over in gratitude
RESULT !!!

Shortest flight made I think :smile:

Cheers
Steve :slight_smile:

PS If today goes to plan, @McSteamy2010 I’ll be taking your top spot :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the compliment :joy:

2 Likes

Half expecting it mate :+1:t4: You go for it, think I’m pretty much done my end. :ok_hand: been a blast though :+1:t4::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi Steve
Did you get your ‘splittie’ ?
With your proximity to Newquay and St Ives I bet you were spoilt for choice :+1:

Cheers
Steve :slight_smile:

1 Like