The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

I think that is me done for this competition, I have just looked through at possible entries left for me and they are limited without me driving miles and I’m starting to rano up in work again now.

Its been fun and I will be watching the tension at the top unfold!

4 Likes

My last submission cos the money has run out :frowning:

Item 20. A recreational lake. – Must have at least one of: Paddle Boat, Sailing Boat, Windsurfer, Kite Surfer, Water Skier, Wakeboarder in the same shot.

As requested, one waterskier.

Taken at 50.845886 -0.749950 on Sunday August 9th, 2020. The video shows Chichester Aqua Park, Westhampnett which offers Wakeboarding (boat & cable 2.0), Waterskiing, Monoskiing, Stand Up Paddle Boarding and Kayaking.Except the watersports enthusiasts stayed home because of the impending rain. A lone skier appeared briefly.

This location is within the flight restriction zone for Chichester / Goodwood Aerodrome (EGHR), the former RAF Westhampnett. I had applied for permission to fly within their zone a week previously but got twitchy by Thursday afternoon when no reply to my email, sent through their website as requested. The airfield manager was working from home, he rang me back apologised and asked me to resend details. Did so, permission granted.

Reported in when on site on Sunday. The controller appeared pleased to hear from me and told me that, due to the low cloudbase there was no traffic expected for the day. After 90 minutes rain loomed so I called it a day, rang ATC, thanked her for looking after me and keeping all the aircraft clear and left, dreams of three or more points shattered.

5 Likes

No bonus but I spy a paddle boarder near the end of your clip heading towards the inflatables ;o)

*edit 2 paddle boarders

1 Like

Hi Rob
I share your frustration, it seems on most lakes wind and motor power don’t usually co-exist.
I’ll take my hat off to anybody who gets a bonus for this challenge :smile:
Steve

2 Likes

Just as frustrating is that every sunny day that I take Dogzilla down to the beach there are enough different watersports going to keep even Donald Trump happy let alone score maximum points for the competition.

1 Like

6: Gypsy (type) caravan
Claiming just 1 point please
Alton Priors, Wiltshire
29th August at 4:00pm
Take Off Location: 51.358063, -1.843420

4 Likes

25: Anything in The Guinness Book of Records
Claiming just 1 point please, it became a GWR in the month of May :frowning:
‘The Smiler’ Alton Towers
23rd August at 7:05am
Take Off Location: 52.989490, -1.896728

The Smiler is a steel roller coaster, at Alton Towers,Staffordshire.
Manufactured by Gerstlauer, it opened in 2013 and with 14 inversions the Smiler holds the world record for the most inversions on a roller coaster.

6 Likes

Nice entries Steve, you’ve got this now my friend! :+1:t4::facepunch:t3::handshake: we still good for 50/50 on the winnings for me holding them off for you till you took over? :wink:

4 Likes

This one I have to say has been a bitch! You’d think living in Somerset and having the Somerset coal fields, it would be easy! Nope! turns out many of the coals mines are still abandoned.

However I did locate this little gem for 1 point please

Pensford Engine House now converted
Image taken: 29/08/2020

6 Likes

And here I was thinking it was all over. Maybe I need to make that 2-hour return trip this evening after all :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t you stress, you just enjoy a nice evening at home, :wink::smirk:

4 Likes

Still time (for those that haven’t submitted an entry today) to add 4 treasures to their tally! That’s a potential of 16 more points!
If, that is, you’ve not already submitted the “Harvester” worth a possible 7 points on its own. That would be a sneaky one to hold off posting until the final hour.
:+1:

3 Likes

Good find that Steve, looks a very nice conversion.

1 Like

Stunning place in person mate, photos really don’t do it justice. :heart_eyes::+1:t4:

1 Like

This is me, drinking at the Three Choirs Vineyard in Newent, Gloucestershire.
Video taken Tuesday 1st September.
Vineyard: :white_check_mark:
Me drinking: :white_check_mark:
Two Points please.

3 Likes

Attempt #2 at this one…

The Tallest Yew Hedge… IN THE WORLD </Jeremy Clarkson>
Unfortunately, there’s no record of which calendar month it was planted/or even put into the GWR… so I can’t claim that… It does get trimmed every August… But as I took this photo yesterday (2/9/20) I can’t claim that, either.

1 Point

4 Likes

Which half of the ‘Tello’ do you want?
:laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

That would be "Tell"ing. #BadumTish!

2 Likes

/Checks notes/

Just looking forward now to @Steviegeek posting a lake and a brewery some time tomorrow, and @McSteamy2010’s Guinness World Record any moment now :wink: Unless they are planning to suprise us with evidence of their joint ploughing competition :rofl:

2 Likes

The only ploughing I’ve seen recently is on por…
sorry of topic :grimacing: moving on :joy:

3 Likes