The Lidl XL GPS Drone

I wonder if anyone has experience of this drone? Bought one in moment of madness - as yet not flown. Gather no spares available. Possibly an error??? Interested to hear from someone who knows. Tnx Dave

1 Like

Hello djshaw, A google search for the Lidl drone brought me to your posting here. My wife got me one of these for Christmas, as I liked the idea of a starter drone. One of my friends has a very good DJI Mavic, which got me interested in the idea. As a complete novice, I have to say I am very impressed with the way the Lidl drone flies. My first outing ended in a squelch across a muddy field to retrieve it after it drifted in the wind when I gave it excessive altitude to avoid a tree, in somewhat gusty conditions. When I read the manual a bit more, I found I hadn’t got the GPS turned on (or calibrated). When I did that, it became very stable and controllable, and seems like a lot of kit for the money. The return to home feature is very useful. The only disappointment is the camera. The image isn’t as good as the resolution would suggest, even when stationary. I get the impression there is something smearing the inside of the lens, as some parts of the image are clearer than others. I may drop a line to Lidl support to see if the lens comes off so I can clean it.

It weighs in at exactly 250 grammes on our kitchen scales, so shouldn’t need a licence.

There is no gimbal on the camera, so in gusty conditions the image tilts with the drone as it works to maintain its position.

Have you tried yours yet? If you have I’d be pleased to hear how you got on with it.

Stuart

3 Likes

Welcome to GADC, Stuart / @stu66, and thanks for you comments on a Drone that’s not that well know.

If you have a moment, pop over to #introductions and tell us a little about yourself.

Dear Stuart

Thanks for coming back and helping me. I have had a twiddle with a friends Phantom drone and thought this might make a good starter. I haven’t flown it yet as the weather has been damp and windy.

I wonder if you or your friend might know - I immediately thought I would buy a spare couple of batteries - but the Lidl supplier does not supply them?!!! I also thought I might buy spare rotor guards, feet and a motor / also not available!

I suspect that it is a branded drone that has been anonymised for Lidl bulk sales - wonder if you or your drone expert might know more on possible spares.

I note what you say about non gimbaling camera and interested if you get any feedback on your camera issue.

I had given up hope of receiving a response or info on this drone so greatly appreciate your response. Look forward to your response to my subsidiary questions. Will give you my view on it after first flight.

Happy Flying

Dave Shaw

Mods: Removed postcode/mobile number from email post

Not a good idea to put your details on display @djshaw

2 Likes

Best to edit it out

1 Like

Hi Dave,

Can you post a picture of the battery showing the type of connector and details of battery i.e voltage (1s, 2s, 3s), capacity (mAh) and dimensions. There will probably be 3rd party batteries to suit available on eBay / Amazon.

Thanks will send you a picture of it tomorrow - Tnx for your help

Dave Shaw

Thank you for your welcome, chaps. I will introduce myself on the web site once I have read up on how to do that.

Dave,

Unfortunately I don’t think I can add much information at the moment. My friend with the Mavic has had a succession of DJI drones over the last few years, but no experience of other makes.

Time is a bit tight at the moment, but I will contact the support people over the next couple of days. The manual shows the Service Great Britain number as 0800 404 7657, and their email address is deltasport@lidl.co.uk. Deltasport also have their own web site, but it’s in German and I can’t find what I’m looking for on it.

When I do query them about image quality, I’ll also ask them how one obtains spares, especially batteries, as I would also like one or two additional ones. I noticed that the manual says to allow 5 to 10 minutes before flying if a fresh battery is installed, to prevent risk of the motors or electronics from overheating.

I will keep you posted as to any information as I get it, and would be pleased to hear your news or information as you get it.

Happy flying to you too!

Regards,

Stuart

If we see some photos or a link to what this drone is then perhaps more of us can help.

1 Like

Hello Dave,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I have set the camera pointing at roughly 30 degrees below horizontal, which I found gives a reasonable vista of the ground when at higher altitudes, but with the ability to see in front at lower altitudes. I guess it depends on terrain and what you want to photograph. At some point I’ll point it straight down and try an aerial view of my house from a fair way up. It would be good to be able to aim the camera remotely - I expect higher spec drones are capable of that and much more.

MementoMori, I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow of the drone, battery, perhaps the manual, and for good measure a picture I have taken from the drone.

Regards,

Stuart

Dear Stuart

Thanks for advice on camera - I had thought that a shallow angle would be best for general work. I note on the battery Box there Is a small screw - so I guess that it might be possible to replace the battery cells if no spares are available. I find it odd that Lidl give a three year guarantee - I suspect the batteries are excluded!

I am surprised that others haven’t posted about this drone model - I guess Lidl sold thousands over Xmas.

I still haven’t flown yet due to soggy conditions, wind and personal business. Interested to see pictures from your drone - will know what to expect. I suspect I will upgrade one day - but didn’t want to start with an expensive one.

You mentioned 5/10 min flying time - although they advertise 15 mins?! I wonder if Lithium Polymer batteries get better after a few charges? Do you happen to know?

More to follow

Regards

Dave

Hello Dave,
The 5-10 minutes I spoke of before is the time they recommend to allow between flying on one battery and flying on another fresh battery - so giving it time to cool down before the next flight. I haven’t actually timed the flying time yet as my inexperience means I’ve just kept looking at the drone, however I would estimate the flying time as close to the claimed 15 minutes. The lights on the drone flash rapidly when the charge starts to get low, which I have experienced, and as it was fairly high at the time it took a minute or two to land, so I was pleased it came down under its own power! The addendum sheet that came with it also says (I think, as I can’t find it at the moment) that when the battery becomes very low it will descend to 20 metres automatically. I haven’t tested that feature.

I hope you’ll be able to try yours soon - I think you’ll have a lot of fun with it. After the panic of my first uncontrolled flight without the GPS on and nothing coming naturally to me regarding operating the remote, I find it to be a very stable and easily controlled little craft. Use the GPS and do the GPS calibration before each session and it should be fine.

Regards,

Stuart

Hello Stuart

Yes thanks for info - I saw the instruction re GPS set up - I did not realise it was a must for each new flying location - should have been obvious to me.

The winds howling here and mud in every open space - first flight will be delayed. I’m also looking for a drone carrying/pack as I want to take it to a few rural locations + I do not want to obviously carry it around / theft or objections a potential in some locations. Most packs seem custom made for this like the Mavic or Phantom - wonder how you carry yours around. I gather no personal contact details allowed on the site - mine were censored out! Wonder where you are located - I’m in SE London

Regards

Dave

Stuart me again

I think I have managed to post picture of battery case onto site - I can feel/hear the lithium cell rattling slightly loosely in the plastic battery case. Is yours the same?

Regards

Dave

Hello Dave, I haven’t yet thought about transportation. Maybe toughen up and cover/anonymise the box it came in? Though it probably would need a bigger box to go in with the rotor guards and feet on.

I live in mid Norfolk. I’m lucky to have a field next to the house, so haven’t had to go anywhere to try the drone out, though taking it to the coast appeals. I’d want to gain a bit more experience before I try flying over water.

My battery doesn’t rattle in its casing with gentle shaking.

Regards,

Stuart

Think I will look for a large plastic container and customise the inside with foam. I think I will contact their help number and tell them about loose battery cell in battery case - suspect it’s held in place with tape. Not planning to use it. I have a place in North Norfolk - Wells. I plan to fly and film there as weather improves. Spare battery will be a must. More to follow

Dave

Continuing the discussion from The Lidl XL GPS Drone:

Anyone any experience with short battery life? Does it need a non-standard USB outlet to give 7.4v instead of the standard 5v? Thanks

Welcome to GADC, @bvtv.

I moved your post over to continue that thread. :+1:

1 Like