The relationship between model flyers

Being new to this hobby and enthusiastically finding out what I can and I’ve come across some animosity from model plane flyers toward drone flyers in certain places.
It felt like they were blaming the drone crowd for the impending registration process and for generally buggering things up for them.
I this something that’s common or just a few making something outta nothing?
I could be barking up the noob tree here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

You can buy animosity in the bucket load by joining the BMFA :roll_eyes:

I’ve no idea what causes it, but no, you’re not alone in sensing/seeing it @martinines :confused:

But that said, we’ve a bunch of model plane / rc heli flyers here on GADC who are top blokes!

So no, I’ve no idea WTF that’s all about :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

You get this in so many sports/hobbies etc; like with bikers, when the Piagio MPV3 bike ( two wheels at the front )started to get popular, bikers shunned it and ridiculed its riders as your not bikers,.
It’s a bike for Christ’s sake.
Same applies with drones appearing under the same umbrella as model planes, we must have some form of illness! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I would add to that by saying “you’ll get this in pretty much any walk of life where people of a “like” mind gather”.

Sadly :frowning:

2 Likes

I think its the whole stigma thingy thats attached to drone use.

Afterall, arent we just a bunch of aerial peeping toms looking invade the privacy of others?! .I mean who would in their right mind would want to rub shoulders with us lot huh!!?:neutral_face::blush:

2 Likes

I’m a member of a MFC that is drone friendly, not really had any issues with them but I suspect that drone flyers are slightly looked down upon by some members, might be wrong as I’ve just joined.

1 Like

Yep them spying ,drone thingies,must be banned !!! :wink::rofl::rofl:

I find that traditional (Read old) model fliers tend not to like “drones”. What they fail to realise is drones are the fastest growing segment of the hobby space oh wait we’re all drone fliers now, regardless of the model in the air…

I’m also a member of the bmfa and they are trying there hardest to support drone fliers (both traditional and the newer kind) wish the bmfa mag has more multirotor content mind you.

1 Like

I think they are right, drones seem to attract F witts, probably because they are easy to fly therefore idiots buy them for a laugh then think it’s allright to do what they please with no regard for anyone else get bored and move on leaving a shit load of bad press along the way, you simply can’t do this with a decent rc helicopter or plane because they aren’t easy to fly you have to spend time learning to fly them which costs money and probably lots of it, most people will not take the time of effort to learn, where as a drone , to make them move around is so easy you can grasp the basics quickly, how to drop drugs etc. But to learn to fly them properly takes time and skill etc, so I can understand the plane flyers being peed off they have a point.

5 Likes

In the years that I was a member I saw zero evidence of that mate. Zero.

Hence no longer being a member :confused:

2 Likes

Wait a minute…before I ask my mum…is you saying Im a f**k witt whos running a drug delivery service? :smile:

The cool reception for drone flyers sounds a bit like “elitism” to me. I seem to remember that when I owned a narrow boat on the canals many years ago, there was this kind of feeling between people who owned boats built for leisure cruising, and some folks who owned old ex working narrowboats.

2 Likes

Reckon it’s the same in all walks of life - Ooooh look at me, I’ve got a Range-Rover/Jag/Merc or Vans/Gucci/Jimmy Choo’s - what have ‘you’ got ?. Prawns. I would just enjoy your drone and ignore them (easy for me to say though, out in wild Northumberland :wink: )

1 Like

Maybe it’s a bit like a camera club where using automatic settings is looked down on. Real photographers use manual settings. Real pilots fly without all the clever computer stuff that keeps a quad in the air.

Are nearly all drone pilots male? That’s the impression I get from YouTube. Maybe looking down ion each other is just a boy thing. If it wasn’t models v drones, it would be self-built v off-the-shelf or whatever.

It’s all genetics, there was a time a single cell ruled the earth followed by my teeth are bigger than yours. The big league is, my nuclear bomb is bigger than yours, look at every living thing on earth and you’ll find that driving force being acted out in one way or another.

2 Likes

I think you can find this type of ill-founded animosity in many different hobbies/interests. One thing I don’t tend to reveal about myself is that I’ve held a full amateur radio licence for nearly 40 years and seen some ridiculous arguments. Valves versus solid-state, analog versus digital, Morse telegraphy versus telephony, young versus old. Radio Hams definitely head the leaderboard when it comes to being stick in the mud, cantankerous, fashionistas of cross stitch knitwear.

I am a member of a BMFA affiliated club and when I first joined there was a distinct distain for anything with more than one rotor. There were many reasons given for this aversion, such as:

It’s not really flying.
It will kill the hobby.
They’re flown by idiots.
They’re used to spy.

And so forth. However I found it apparent that this unfounded resentment was because the majority did not understand the technology and therefore the capabilities. Many had never flown anything electric powered.

Today the Club is still a little backward thinking but now some of the original naysayers are rocking the Mavic. Some are even having ago with FPV on racequads and wings.

There has also been some reciprocity on my part. I joined the club with next to no fixed wing experience but now I enjoy 3D/Sport flying. I’ve even convinced a few to let me experiment by placing GPS trackers on their models and have one of my drones autonomously track and film. I’ve yet to do this practically due to recent bad weather and my own health issues but I still consider this a major milestone in bringing two ill-perceived adversaries together.

Back in the day young traditional model flyers went on to become innovators in the aerospace industries. If today the traditional model flyers were to become more accepting of this newer technology we may have a chance of attracting that same young innovative enthusiasm into the hobby again.

Regards

Nidge.

8 Likes