The video that NT does not like

2m24s into the video doesn’t look 250ft up. That could give them reason to suspect you weren’t flying VLOS.

Just looks like well cropped 4k to me … so you have no idea how high.

2 Likes

I say that because it “looks” like it’s taken with a long lens (which is unlikely), judging by the perspective of the building. :man_shrugging: :

The impression it gives is low flight, enough reason for NT to take it further?

Me curious?, on what grounds?

Proximity of the trees and the climb immediately afterwards.

Sorry the quote didnt paste fully (stupid phone)

Thats the bit I meant ;o)

1 Like

You have heard of editing :green_heart:

2 Likes

I have stuck to between 250ft-301ft :green_heart:

2 Likes

I have had lots of drone police telling me about “illegal positions” and crap like that from photographs on Facebook. I lerned over time that ignoring them is generally the best policy, as many wont let it go even when you explain it. But i know from experience that cropping and zoom can give an impression that a drone is a lot closer/lower than it really is.

Its very very difficult to gauge the position and height of a drone from footage alone. a 360 pano makes it easier as you have many reference points, but even that can be misleading.

3 Likes

I couldn’t put it better myself :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

I stick by what I said, gives the impression. IF it was flying that low, NT could reasonably argue no VLOS from the edge of their property.

I never said it IS an illegal flight, just saying it could be enough ammunition for NT to try and take it further.

No worries :+1:t2: I have kept my flight information so I’m happy with my flight :green_heart:

5 Likes

Curious - post your flight log so we can see the facts without debate about height etc? Lots of supposition in here…

Also I wasn’t debating the legality of the flight … I simply want to treat others as I want to be treated. So even though you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.

It’s still a nice video …

So the drone police can get on the high horse.

Fuck that for a game of marbles.

6 Likes

That’s a lot of assuming. As he said he did not over fly and he was not on there land.

My tuppence worth being an affiliate member…the NT and EH has a lot of properties with very valuable antiques that are unique, and I think they see drones as “casing the joint”. If only they worked with us, i.e. allowing drone pilots that have proved their I.D. and allocated a slot, I think they would be less worried.

1 Like

The only point I would like to make is the NT seems to forget they do not OWN anything , they maintain and run lands and or buildings on OUR behalf using OUR money for the benefit of the people of this fair land. There, I feel better now. :wink:

5 Likes

[quote=“milkmanchris, post:35, topic:27198, full:true”]So the drone police can get on the high horse.

Fuck that for a game of marbles.
[/quote]
Yet again one of the committee curtailing an interesting discussion with the not unexpected drone police comment. Some people need to stop acting as the forum police, reel it in and see where the conversations go before assuming the worst.

I think the NT policy on drone use isn’t related to photographs so much as the fact that a lot of people really hate drones and the noise they make etc. They’re simply trying to do their best for most visitors. Asking people to take drone photos down is a policy enacted with the thought that if people see lots of drone footage of their areas then it will encourage others to fly there too rather than them being weirdly precious about the images themselves.

Let’s not kid ourselves that drones can’t be annoying. This argument that it’s somehow the same as filming with a phone or an SLR with a long lens misses the point. Because when someone is at a castle shooting a video with a phone they don’t generally accompany their activity with a gratingly high pitched buzzing sound that can be heard across the whole site essentially announcing to everyone on the ground that they’re now being filmed and causing all those other visitors to stop what they’re doing and look to see where the noise is coming from.

When I first started flying drones it was before they were something that absolutely anyone could just go out and buy. It was regarded as a curiosity and nearly everyone was interested and wanted to know more. But attitudes have changed completely over the last decade or so and now most people seem to just regard them as an annoyance. So now my own personal policy is just to not bother flying where I know it’s probably going to annoy someone. Because frankly there are better hills to die on.