Thurso seafront and harbour - Added to Beaches and Seaside Resorts in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Thurso seafront and harbour. Filmed from the seawall where there's free parking.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 13/12/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

I was last in Thurso about five years ago - December I think. I’d delivered a Transit to the kitchen manufacturer at Wick then trained up to Thurso. There was a major electric storm that night, the wind was blowing a real hoolie next morning when I was heading out to Dounreay and the hailstones were like bullets. The police (?) guards wouldn’t let me through the turnstyle and by the time they fetched me the keys for the hire car I was driving down ti Enterprise at Inverness I was bloody frozen.

I spent 9 months in Thurso in 1978 when I rode my motorbike from Portsmouth to Thurso (with an overnight stop in Edinburgh). It was January and it was bitterly cold especially crossing the Grampians. That was on the old A9, narrow and twisty in places. A week later, there was heavy snow with people buried in their cars on the A9. We had frequent power cuts, too. I worked at Dounreay at that time. I loved the area, especially the craic at The Ferry Inn at Scrabster on a Saturday night (I think it was called The Lower Deck at the time), and the Thurso Folk Festival. I have fond memories of Thurso.

1 Like

It was probably busier up there then than nowadays except the summer when the tourists are about!