Tiny whoop?

Good choice, you’ll be impressed with its performance, worth checking out a few videos on youtube, specially with regards to setup.

Grab a few spare props as well, because when your learning, you will break props by the truck load.

Here’s a couple

AndyRC - Diatone GT-R349 The Fastest 3 Inch? - YouTube
Drone Camps RC - THIS QUAD BLEW MY MIND! - Diatone 2019 GT R349 - Honest Review & Flight Tests - YouTube

Thanks! I found these guys very useful

Does it matter where I get the props? Any advice on that one? I guess with this drone I’ll be wanting 3" props?

The R349 comes with Gemfan 3052 which you can get from quadcopters.co.uk

They are about £2.50 for a set of props (2x clockwise, 2x counter clockwise)

On my 3" I use the Dal Cyclone 3056 which are little more aggressive (faster but less flight time), they are also slightly cheaper.

1 Like

Hiya! So the bits have arrived…I’m amazed at the learning curve im on! But now I need some more advice…which receiver? I’m thinking FRSKY XM+ ? (Bearing in mind I’m using an xlite controller) Will that do the trick? I’m wondering if it will require soldering…

2 Likes

Also, what the hell is this?

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Er, not that I know what it is either, but your post made me laugh :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! Very helpful. Seems anyone who wants to fly fpv is assumed to be a PhD in radio gizmology. I’m holding out for @MadMossy for some sound advice…

1 Like

Just to set up your caddix I think. For the on screen display. But just use the FC osd.

Good fun ain’t it!

1 Like

So first things first. The Caddx menu board.

That’s to adjust the menu options for the camera, basically something you use once and thats it, plugs into the camera and you can access its menu setup.

As for a receiver, the XM+ is sufficient, you will need to do some soldering though, as I don’t think the R349 has a pre-soldered connection for a receiver. If you think its tough now, wait till you start farting about with Betaflight :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the R-XSR.

Its full range, tiny, battery telemetry and uninverted sbus/smartport pads.

I’d also personally go for the R-XSR for telemetry support but that’s more things to mess about with more soldering to do. Specially if the FC doesn’t like inverted signals then its a pain in the arse.

1 Like

Thanks y’all! I’ll go “straight forward” for now. And going to get some new antenna, am I right that as long as I get the same “hand” (I.e. Left or Right) I’ll be ok? Is that the same as polarity? And any recommendations?

Thanks again. This is fully challenging

yeah make sure if your using LHCP on your goggles, you get LHCP for your quad, same with RHCP.

Makes no difference which one you get just as long as they are the same for goggles/drone. Always ensure an antenna is connected to your VTX before you power it on, or you risk damaging the video transmitter.

Antenna wise I tend to stick with 2 brands, Menace RC and Lumenier, either a pagoda style antenna or the axii/micro axii ones depending on the build.

For my 3" armattan gecko build I use the Lumenier Micro Axii but you might find the dipole antenna that comes with your R349 good enough for now at least until your confident flying it further out. When you do get the receiver sorted and take it for the first time. Don’t be tempted to see how fast it goes, because it will be gone in no time.

My gecko will clear about 200 metres in about 6 seconds at 100% throttle so be warned :slight_smile:

Ok so…xm+, how would I know if that’s LH or RH?

Most antennas will be marked, although the standard plastic linear ones that come with some goggles won’t be marked as they are linear and not circular.

1 Like

The amount of stuff I’m having to buy is crazy! Drone, goggles, radio, props, batteries for radio, charger for batteries for radio, batteries for drone, battery charger for drone, cable for battery charger, the right batteries for drone!, antenna, velocidrone license, transmitter, SD card…then I gotta watch hours of you tube and practice on the sim! Seriously! Barriers to entry! and there’s always a chance I take it out and total it in 20 seconds…?