Titan Atlas antenna mod + car kit

Haha, my arms would be aching like hell if I didn’t mount mine on a tripod, it also helps with pin point accuracy keeping the signal strong. Just charging my batteries now as it looks like a perfect day tomorrow with low wind to see how this setup performs. Great idea with that T mount, that’s took a lot of stress off those mounts

I’ve been dabbling again…

I take no credit for this idea, I completely stole the idea from @Njoro in post #41 above :blush:

Not having quite the same spare parts left over as @Njoro did, I bought a sheet of A5 perspex from eBay for £1.99 delivered. Well, actually I bought two, one gloss black and one matt black. I wanted matt because the case is matt, but I had a sneaking suspicion the car suckers wouldn’t stick to the matt one so I bought a gloss one just in case. Sure enough, suspicions confirmed, the suckers wouldn’t entertain the idea of sticking to the matt surface at all.

Oh well, gloss it was then :roll_eyes:

So, one sheet of A5 gloss black Perspex, one Titan Drones decal, coupled with one healthy dose of Araldite and this was the end result:

It’s quite noticeable in direct sunlight, not so much otherwise :+1:

With the case lid open, I now have a nice clean shiny surface:

On to which I can stick the car kit:

Then attach the Titan Atlas:

Connect the other end of the car kit cables to the remote:

At which point I now have the beginnings of a base station :+1:

Not tried it in the field yet, but the principal is there. I mentioned the combined weight of the CrystalSky and the Atlas being a bit too much really so this will come in handy if I’m not flying from the car or van, and if I don’t want the added weight!

I shall report back when tested. Thanks again for the ideas @Njoro :grin:

2 Likes

You will be needing one of these soon mate.

ae235

Looks good though.

1 Like

I could attach an antenna to each handle :rofl:

1 Like

Hmmm… :thinking:

1 Like

That case looks cool, :+1:
@PingSpike are the extension cables RG316? could you measure your extension cable outer diameter?
I have an idea brewing :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

They are indeed, 2x 10 foot RG316 cables. I’ve got another set somewhere, was debating connecting both together to make it 20ft long, wasn’t sure if I’d get any drop off though?

I’ve put a bit of red tape on one of them, so that always gets connected to the right-hand terminal on the controller and to the right hand side on the Atlas (red=right)

Will measure at some point later today for you and let you know the diameter :+1:

Hmmm … a very non aviation/marine logic. :wink:

Thanks for letting me know they are RG316, I’ve got a coil and connectors to make my own. I’ll look for the mount to see what’s available out there next.
There’s always a signal loss with very long cables the tech specifications will tell how to calculate it.

Major Tom to Ground Control…
Check ignition and may God’s love be with you…

2 Likes

I’d personally use a different coax for that length, something like LMR200 or 400 with some QMA to sma adapters

2 Likes

Connectors are 10mm across, cable itself is 2mm :slight_smile:

Thanks @PingSpike, I’ll be making my own 5 foot extensions for winter use while sat in the car.

Made the extension cables,I’ll test them later in the cool of the evening.

2 Likes

have you a link to where the Male/Female QMA Connectors and Cable can be found, need to get some for a Ground station Project I have in mind for the cold winter nights !!!

Got them from eBay from this chap.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222788885707

1 Like

Thanks for the link, Credit Card will now take a hit !!LOL

1 Like