Top down pano from a moving drone

Is there anything specific that Pix4D does that can’t be done in Litchi?

1 Like

Probably not, but Pix4D and Dronedeploy are easier to use as they’ll calculate the grid/image overlap for optimum stitching results for you (and the UAV being used), whereas as I understand it, in Litchi you’d need to work it out yourself then set each picture waypoint individually.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Useful info.

Overlap isn’t that difficult to calculate, and I’m thinking in Litchi I’d use time-lapse mode on the camera to take a pic every n secs and move at a pace that is suitable for overlap in the direction of movement.

Might try some time, and then use WebODM and see how it goes.

1 Like

I knocked this out just now using the desktop DroneDeploy app … really quick to use.
I guess you can take the settings and mirror a waypoint mission in Litchi with similar settings - it’ll just take longer to create.

2 Likes

Can the route gpx be exported?

Thats awesome but it doesnt work with the mini2. And for what I needs its also a ridiculous price.

1 Like

If you can do it with a Mini 2, I’ll be interested to see what the image quality is like - normally mapping is done with a camera with a mechanical shutter (e.g. P4P, Xenmuse) so that it can carry on moving when taking photographs without too much image blur.
I’ve only just started playing with Litchi and a Mini2, If you can ‘pause’ the aircraft at each picture location to take the image / it may be possible to get comparable sharpness, hmmm :thinking:

1 Like

Good point … I’ll check

edit: No :frowning:
But Pix4Dmapper still seems to be offering a 15 day free trial !

2 Likes

I think on a good bright day with a fast enough shutter speed, and at a suitable speed, blur wouldn’t be noticed.

You can pause at waypoints to take pics in Litchi … but there’s a 100 waypoint limit, so limiting the area one can cover. Hence why suggesting using time-lapse mode so that only the turning points of each leg need be specified.

Obviously, a small area can be covered within 100 pics/waypoints.

Definitely worth a try, if a Mini2 can produce reasonable results it opens up loads of new sites to map :slight_smile:

Edit; and the higher the flight, the less relative movement of the ground image on the sensor for a given speed

2 Likes

I don’t necessary want to map it I just want a nice picture.

1 Like

And nothing wrong with that :slight_smile:

(careful though … at first it’ll be a couple of top down images photoshopped together, then a couple of DroneDeploy missions … but before you know it you’ll be knee deep in QGIS files, surface maps, and trying to work out how you can get your hands on a Zenmuse P1 - UAV load gimbal camera - DJI Enterprise !! )

1 Like

Do you know me in real life LOL :rofl:

1 Like

I am new to Litchi and Mission planner but couldn’t you just plan a mission and take pictures, say like this

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’d been suggesting further up.

What one needs to do, first, is the calculations to ensure overlaps. That’s where the other platforms help.

1 Like

Yes, that was just a 5-minute knock together, but it can be done. Its given me an idea to do my local nature reserve

1 Like

Indeed.

The Mini2 has 83° FOV - from 120m high that’s 78.5m x 58m ground coverage - so the legs need to be max 51m apart along and photos a max 38m apart, along each leg, to ensure 1/3 overlaps.

2 Likes

The Isle of Wight might be a challenge … on one battery.

:rofl:

It’s more than that. I have one framed the imperial War museum north and its wider than 78 meters.

Ah - I missed the “x 2” bit at the end of the maths.

83° FOV is the diagonal angle

Ground diagonal = drone height x tan(FOV ° / 2) x 2
=120 x tan(41.5°) x 2 = 212m

4:3 sensor means that’s 169m wide x 127 high

So the legs need to be max 113m apart along and photos a max 84m apart, along each leg, to ensure 1/3 overlaps.

2 Likes