Top down pano from a moving drone

I tried stitching a standard pano from different points and it proved virtually impossible due to changes in perspective, I quickly abandoned the idea. It would be the same for straight down I would guess. But I will take at the link someone posted in this thread for new ideas :bulb: :laughing:

1 Like

Photogrammetry. Lots of articles if you Google photogrammetry with drone.

1 Like

If you don’t mind distortion, the wide angle pano works well from a single viewpoint, stitching 3x3 shots. A recent one from my Air 2S, just a lightly edited JPG as shot. Sky cropped a bit.

Imgur

If you point the gimbal straight down, you’ll get more obvious distortion at the edges, and the edges are a bit soft as they aren’t stitched.

1 Like

Lightroom won’t do this because the algorithms for stitching are expecting all the shots to be taken from the same point.
However it relatively easy to combine the images in any normal pixel editor like Photoshop or Gimp. Just bring each image in on a new layer then adjust and match overall position (variable opacity is your friend for that), then you can mask off overlapping areas and combine. Then you can get an improved resolution images.
When shooting you’ll need to keep exposures and colour temperature all the same. Shoot it all from the same distance above the subject, which may be tricky on a slope, it also helps to have the same orientation (N-S). Probably best to work quickly to avoid changing light too.
Make sure you use any optical lens corrections available in the software before trying to stitch too.

I’ve done this several times with a Mini 2 and it’s worked well.

1 Like