Forecasts are unreliable - basically.

Mid-day forecast for now …

Actual

17mph - stay in doors
5mph- weyyyyyyheyyyyy!

:wink:

3 Likes

Why pay for it? Just use the free version

I realise this topic is a bit old but to us newbies its still relevant. As a seasoned sailor I understand how “unreliable” forecasts can be locally but in sailing its getting prepared for the next few hours that mattered so trends are very important. I get the fact that I can look outside and gauge pretty easily if the current conditions are ok to fly. What is a tab more difficult is the winds (and direction) at say 500 feet and what is the barometer doing (and how fast its changing). With a flight time of say 25 mins its not critical as you can land and take cover pretty quickly. So a long winded question is - is it worth paying £20+ for the extra features on the UAV Forecast or is it just padding to try and justify the cost? GPS coverage is pretty important as is fog (low cloud) but I guess you don’t need an app to tell you its foggy

1 Like

The free version of UAV forecast, with 24 hours detailed cover, is good enough for me. I have it set to show gusts at 100m, and display green at <= 20mph.

2 Likes

I second that (for the mini).
If I know I’m keeping low, I’ll adjust the height accordingly… and remember, it’s a guide not an absolute :wink:

1 Like

Totally agree = all forecasts are just that - forecasts and can be open to “interpretation”
Many thanks guys