Undercover Police take down caught on Mini 3 Pro

On the way back from Asda this afternoon, about 100m from my house, I encountered a road block with a load of undercover police in the road. They had apprehended 3 teenagers in a white hatchback, one of them was bleeding. I noticed their driver’s window was smashed, probably by the police trying to get them out. Not sure what the teenagers had done, stolen car or drugs perhaps.

I got back home a few minutes later, launched the Mini 3 Pro and went for a look. The teenagers had their hands in zip ties. One to the left on the grass, one on the curb and the other in the car park to the right.

I videod the scene for about 16 minutes. About 40 seconds in they spot my drone.

Was a bit shocked to see the police dumping all the broken glass in to the hedge at 14:16 in the vid.

9 Likes

The one in the car park disappeared a bit rapid :thinking:

Could be worth a few quid from the local paper :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I posted it on my twitter feed and tagged in the editor and local paper. Not looking for any dosh.

https://twitter.com/lambourne_chris/status/1632397673461346305?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I can’t find it at the moment, but I am pretty sure there has been a discussion on here about some specific legislation covering drone flying near to an emergency services response.
I don’t know if this type of incident is covered, or if it’s only things like fires, ambulance responses etc.

To be clear, I’m in no way criticising what you have done here, but just trying to understand what the “rules” are :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Never heard of this. If anything does exist (which I doubt), it would be very difficult to enforce. Reporters do it all the time. And it is no different to Joe Public walking past with a camera phone :man_shrugging:

Yorkshires latest journalism

https://www.youtube.com/@YappApp/featured

Is that an unmarked Audi A7? :thinking:

3 Likes

Have a watch of Traffic Cops on Channel 5, all around North Yorkshire, some lovely motors that they often bang about

1 Like

Nice! I wouldn’t have given that a second look.

Bit different from the old Vauxhall Astras of the 90s with no wheel trims :rofl:

1 Like

That a Big Gun :scream:

1 Like

CAP 722 5.2.2.3
Ensure that the UA is not flown close to or inside any areas where an emergency
response effort is ongoing, unless they have permission to do so from the
responsible emergency response personnel.
Note:
The term ‘emergency response effort’ covers any activities by police, fire, ambulance,
coastguard or other similar services where action is ongoing in order to preserve life,
protect the public or respond to a crime in progress. This includes activities such as road
traffic collisions, fires, rescue operations and firearms incidents, although this list is not
exhaustive.

5 Likes

I always find traffic management whilst brandishing an automatic machine gun most effective.

1 Like

Hmm, another CAA rule open to misinterpretation.

Define “close” :thinking:

Thanks @Crackerjack …. I remember now what my concern/confusion was.
I could be flying half a mile from an emergency incident (and be totally unaware it’s going on), and could still fall foul of this regulation.
The lose terminology of “close” isn’t helpful

1 Like

If the local paper follows up during the week, let us know what they get busted for Chris :smiley:

And congratulations on your new Strange Sightings badge :star_struck:

3 Likes

They didn’t come looking for you when they saw the drone so can’t have judged it an issue at the time. If they’d seen it and took more than a passing glance, I’d have drawn back and landed.

There was a gas explosion near us some time ago, young boy killed. All emergency service response and a dickhead with a drone (as far as I’m concerned) buzzing over. I’m not aware the police did anything about it. Was also inside the nuclear restricted area for which another local has been dealt with by the police.

Depends on their mood on the day.

1 Like

Clink camera action, could be a be series in the making there Chris :wink:

There was a discussion on a podcast regarding flying close to emergency services @BudgieUK on UAVhub and they called it General Offense 8, it basically refers to what @Crackerjack posted on the CAP 722.

Another link here :- General Offence 8 - Flying within or close to an Emergency Response - a Freedom of Information request to Civil Aviation Authority - WhatDoTheyKnow

2 Likes

Cheers Jim. Seems like others are asking the same question … “define close”.

What does the CAA view as an emergency, would routine parts of a police investigation like scene of crime collection hours after an emergency still qualify?

Does the CAA have a view on what distance should be consider “close to” a scene?

Yours faithfully,

I Hudson

They suggest it is to ensure air ambulances can land if needed. But in this case, it was an active road onto an estate. And they were already allowing traffic to pass 1m from the scene. So I would struggle to accept any argument that a lone sub-250g drone 50’ above them would pose any risk.

And if the CAA really wanted this rule enforced, they must offer proper, crystal clear guidance. I.e. a fixed distance that can be enforced, e.g. 10m, 50m, etc. And not just an ambiguous term such as ‘close’ :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Thanks @Kings …. I knew I had been in a discussion before about this, but could not find it, but “Offence 8” allowed me to track it down.

As has been said several times now …. the rules are very vague in what’s not allowed. As always with these things, common sense seems to be a valuable asset!