Using a DJI Mini 2 in the wind

Do you have airdata - that ought to tell you the speed of winds recorded (download if not)

Must admit, I have not flown the Mini 2 in higher wind, but the Air 2 copes well.

No I donā€™t. Yesterday was a spur of the moment thing, and at the flying field you get an idea how strong the wind is at higher altitudes by how fast the local kite population is flying backwards.

Hi All,

Was looking to take my new DJI Mini 2 out today on its 1st flight with me a first time user.

The area is a large field area with only a few trees.

Should I wait for a calmer wind day or would it be ok?

Thanks
Adam

@DJI_Soarin ā€¦ā€¦Iā€™m not a mini 2 owner but owners on here have stated it handles the wind well , however as a novice flyer first flight a calm day might be better , you mention a few trees if you become disoriented with the controls those trees can become a bit closer or you may become a bit over ambitious with your flight , itā€™s an expensive bit of kit , if you do decide to fly I would suggest keep it simple , take off hover about 10 m in front of you and keep it low say 6-8 m, watch to see how it is handling it should maintain position , try simple manoeuvres to learn how sensitive the controls are , donā€™t think about trying to take a video at this stage take a simple photo a ā€œselfieā€ ā€¦.and practice take off and landing itā€™s important to be able to land on a level piece of land that might only be a small available area ( until you can hand catch ) ā€¦ā€¦most of all have fun and go home with your drone undamaged to fly again

Look at the flying speeds that have been achieved - Breaking the speed limit.

Whilst not recommending flying in winds that fast, it should give you comfort to fly in winds up to one-third those speeds ā€¦ that may have been achieved by devious means. :stuck_out_tongue:

@DJI_Soarin weā€™ve moved your question to an existing thread on the very same subject. Have a scroll up to see the feedback from others in the same situation too.

1 Like

1st drone 1st time flying, this weekendā€™s not the time for that. You need to learn yourself how to control it in the wind but first you need to learn how to control it.

All thanks for the feedback.

I braved it and took it out just for 20mins.

Just kept it around 8m and practiced taking off and landing with also a bit of flying control.

I was so impressed the control you get from such a small machine.

Hopefully the weather improves in the coming weeks.

Adam

2 Likes

I too was worried about flying my mini2 in the wind. After I took it out for its first wind trial I no longer worry, theyā€™re extremely capable machines. Just keep low, take off into the wind and return home with it. Try not to let it get too far or too high If you find it struggling to get back home get as low to the ground as possibe and get into sports mode to provide more power to the props, but keep an eye on battery level. Failing all of that just land and make the walk to retrieve. Oh, and keep away from trees!!!

1 Like

I donā€™t want to sound patronising or condescending, but as a new user (I take this to mean no flying experience), Iā€™d urge you to wait for a calmer day.

The Mini2 can handle the wind to a degree but if you have no frame of reference as to how it handles in calm conditions you may not be quick enough to spot the signs when things are about to go pear shaped.

Wait for a calmer day and let your first flights be enjoyable flights.

Posted a few days ago, watch various drones including the Mini 2 in ā€œwindā€

Depends where you intend to fly and what you intend to do. Remember build up areas can create wind tunnels, and gusts at 400ft are must faster than they are at ground level. As a rule for the Mini 2 if I see ground gusts forecast at 17mph or above, thatā€™s enough to put me off putting it up high and to leave anything that was intended to be anymore more than just a quick picture for another day.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :see_no_evil: Dance Mini 2, Dance.