Various legal questions about 250g drones

Hi everyone. Merry Christmas! Been looking at real estate with a sub 250g fpv drone and not sure about commercial insurance, of course as most of us know it is a legal requirement to make money from a drone. The question that I’m confused about is does the insurance add that keeps popping up round here meet the requirements to be legal to make money from a drone?

You only need to blow it once to end up broke.

What?

Also another question. When you measure a drones weight to see which class it is in do you measure it with or without the battery?

Asking all these questions as I got a V3 f7 speedybee flight stack for Christmas and want to put it to use

Sub 250 refers to the drones take off weight ( it can’t take off without the battery )
Commercial insurance can be purchased on an ad hoc basis from most of the regular drone insurance suppliers. Can be bought even on a daily basis if required. :wink::wink:

Great thanks for that! Hmm gonna have to make adjustment to the weight of my fpv drone build!

Oh one more question just out of interest when I saw it whilst I was googling. Can drone operators over 13 fly by themselves? Or do you need an older person

You need to be age 12 to fly the drone by yourself, but, you have to display a Operator ID on the drone. An Operator ID can only be bought by someone over the age of 18. Get yer dad to purchase the OP ID :wink::wink:

PS if it’s a FPV drone, you’ll also need someone with you as a spotter :wink:

1 Like

Our insurance is hobbyist only.

Oh no I’m definitely not new to the hobby just curious🤣 my first flight was when I was 9 but yeah I just wanted to try make some money. Been flying for just coming up to 6 years now and already have drone licence. Got the speedybee for Christmas because I do a lot of mechanics and run a refurbishment business and always wanted to do a really powerful fpv drone, I’ve done a bit of drone construction previously but not to the extent of what I’m planning now

Ah ok I’ll have to talk to one of the other companies I found

Make sure it’s commercial and make sure the cover is sufficient

More and more clients are asking for more than the normal £5m liability

But I honestly don’t see how a drone can do even £1m in damage?

Only if it hits an aircraft and if it does why was it that high in the first place?

Kills a child

Hits a Veyron

Burns down a 2 up 2 down in that London Town

List is endless

2 Likes

Mm yeah I guess so. Dunno where you gonna find a veyron though :rofl: I just do Massey Fergusons and race cars

Commercial insurance has to conform to EC785/2004 if that helps.

I was under the impression that mandatory insurance was no longer required as the distinction between commercial and recreational flying had been removed, it is of course best practice to have insurance.

There used to be a different level of approval for commercial and recreational flights. You used to have to poses a PfCO (permission for commercial operations), but that was overtaken some years ago.
The key difference between recreational and commercial flights now (certainly for <250g drones) is the requirement to have insurance for commercial flights.