VIDEO: Practicing FPV on my PC simulator

Here is my current progress, I can see I have a long way to go before I dare this in the real world haha!

9 Likes

Watch that sky it’s going to rain. :joy:

1 Like

I’d recommend getting a tinywhoop to practice with. I started with one if them, and just took a 5" quad (nazgul5) out for the first time yesterday and I feel like that the tinywhoop was better preparation.

I have played a fair bit of liftoff as well, but doing it for real didn’t really feel anything like the game, and I personally don’t feel like playing liftoff benefited me in anyway once I was up in the air for real. Everything I knew came from flying the tinywhoop.

Just my two cents though.

4 Likes

Good going @BasculethiTellur

I’m still learning but definitely not as steady as yourself.:+1:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve put quite a few hours into Liftoff and into the DJI simulator too. I was terrible for the first few hours, and it’s only recently that I’ve steadied up. My R/C fixed wing LOS flying from 20 years sort of helped, but it also kinda stuffed me up. I’m not used to using pitch for speed and throttle for altitude as it’s the other way around with petrol powered fixed wing flying haha. I’m also struggling a bit with balanced turns as the required amount of yaw with roll seems to change quite a lot with your speed and rate of turn.

I’ve gotten a fair bit better since that last video too.

3 Likes

That’s not bad, but you should really use the FPV view and not the one from the back of the drone.
When the prospective changes, everything else changes as well.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m able to fly like that too. It doesn’t seem to make much difference to my brain. Turning down the camera angle helped here as I’m not yet good enough to fly in precise control at the speed required for those bigger camera angles.

The great news is that yesterday I tried the DJI virtual flight simulator and my Liftoff experience has translated well to that!

1 Like

A little more control and confidence, but a long way to go still…

Looking pretty solid there, try lowering your camera angle a bit so that at the speed you’re going the horizon is more in the middle. Then gradually increase it as you want to go faster, all the while keeping the horizon centered.

1 Like

Crap never seen that setting :flushed:

1 Like

It’s up and down arrow.

@Loopdreams I thought I was already taking the mickey by having it at 15 degrees. Lower is definitely easier haha!

1 Like

Yeah, there’s no sense flying along looking at the sky, though. It’s easier still when you can see around properly. Once you get more used to it you’ll add it back on a few degrees at a time and you’ll just naturally go faster.

3 Likes

Well, my Titan XL5 is now all configured (I hope) correctly, and I’m all charged up, I suppose I’d better go and try to fly it. Scared

2 Likes

1 Like

Out of interest, what’s the difference between the Titan and the Nazgul? I have a Nazgul and always wondered if it was better electronics inside or some other more fundamental difference like a freestyle vs LR/cruiser frame or something.

Sorry, I don’t know as I’m a noob. Might be worth listing the specs next to each other and seeing for yourself?

As for my simulator practice, it really stood me in good stead. It translated very very well to flying the real thing, so I’m glad I spent a lot of time in the simulator.

1 Like

What’s the simulator your using? Looks fun

Liftoff I think.

4 Likes

Yup, it’s LiftOff.

1 Like

Here’s my last flight, in real life this time:

3 Likes