Video request

On bank holiday monday a friend and me went out with our cameras, and i had my drone with me, she informed me of a excavation site in Place called Allendale near where i live. When we got there at 9am, i saw the possibilities of getying some drone images, it was a smallish estate with an indian restaurant, a vets a cafe, and the local brewery, the brewery was open so i called in asked if they were ok if i put my drone up, which they were, as it happened i knew the lady on the front reception, she asked if i woukd take some shots of the actual brewery, i said yes, and i would email them to them with no charge as a thankyou for allowing me to fly, any way i emailled the images later thst day, and to my amazement the directors have asked me if i would do some indoor shots/video of the brewery.
So i am just a recreational flyer, with just A2cofc, would i need to take the GVC course (which i actually intend taking later in the yesr any way )or would i be ok with what i have, i have public liability insurance, any and all advice gratefully received
I have a mavic air 2

2 Likes

No need for any courses. As long as your insurance is compliant with EC 785/2004 are good to go.
I hope it goes well for you.

Would this apply if one had DJI mini 2 drone or would the insurance from FPV UK would be sufficient?

As long as the insurance covers the drone you are using and is compliant with
EC 785/2004 then you are covered. Obviously if you insured an inspire but used a mini that wasn’t on the policy you wouldn’t be covered and vice versa.
FPV UK insurance is only for recreational flights. It doesn’t cover commercial work

1 Like

Thank you @stevesb

As I may undertake some commercial work, once best to get an insurance that is compliant with
EC 785/2004.

You would be looking at coverdrone or moonrock.
Coverdrone do by the flight cover so keeping your cost down as you start.

2 Likes

Getting a quote of £150 per year from Coverdrone.

2 Likes

Have you looked at what they would charge for a single day? That may be more appropriate if you are only going to do paying work occasionally.

1 Like

Specifically excludes commercial work.

2 Likes

Yep - I saw that and may go for it. Thanks.

Yep.

That looks very cheap. My yearly commercial cover from Moonrock is around £450/500 and Coverdrone was similar when I checked.

None of the CAA rules/regs apply if it’s indoors.

Just apply common sense and be careful.

None of the CAA rules/regs apply if it’s indoors.

That was my thoughts too.
But also be aware that flying inside and close to electrically powered and controlled machinery can cause your drone to be a little erratic. Plus you will not have gps. I have done this a few times with the mini2 and it can be a little hairy, I now have prop guards for flying inside factories.

1 Like

Check the amount for PLI as when I did an online quote it covers for £5million. When I called them, they said that we cover for £1m to £5m. So the quote came down when I asked to cover for £1m.

That’s brilliant news! I have done similar indoor shoot for a friend of mine and it was hard to judge how close you are to some objects especially indoor. Having a second person for would be a great help.

Many thanks for the all the advice, taken on board and digested