Video Titles

I’ll probably not make any friends here but I’m interested to know why so many videos include the make and/or model of the drone used in the title.

I don’t normally encounter videos shot at ground level titled “Lake District by Sony Handycam” or Brixton - Panasonic GH4". I can understand the topic title including the drone used when posting in here but many videos on the net have a title seaquw=ence at the start of the video that either tells the viewer what drone was used or includes a still of the drone in question.

Just seems unnecessary to me.

1 Like

Do you not want to know what the footage was shot with? I know I did when researching what drone to buy :thinking:

3 Likes

I would add to that, logos on the videos as well, distracts from the footage.
As for the title having the make model of the, there is the description for that, then links can be added.
Alternative is to have a credit at the end as to make model, even the software used to make the video.
For what it is worth. :wink:

2 Likes

Valid point, however if everything was done this way ie Ebay for example
“Phone for sale”
What phone??? Click the description to find out. This could take a while :thinking: I get your point though links and tags to direct you but I think personally people like to see it in the titles.

1 Like

As I said, as a title to the topic in here it makes a certain sense but I’m talking more about the titles on the video itself.

A little story:

I attended an exhibition by a landscape photographer. There were some stunning pictures. I stayed behind for the talk after where he explained the philosophy in regard to landscape.

At the end he asked for questions - I knew what was coming. “What camera do you use?”

He explained he used a Mamiya Press 23 which, as its name suggests, was ideally suited for newspaper photography and, although perfectly competent, was an unusual choice for a landscape photographer.

I could see several of the audience writing in their notebooks, lips moving, as they recorded this information and I felt sure that the local camera shops would be scoured for examples of this unusual camera over the next few weeks.

Then someone asked “why do you use that particular camera?”

“Because my car was broken into, my Leica was taken and this was the only decent piece of kit I could find locally that I could buy with the cash in my wallet.”

So I’m not particularly bothered by the kit used to take pictures as long as it is of reasonable quality. (Ok, yes, I’ve just bought a Nikon D750 and a Sigma 105mm Macro …). You can get hung up with the equipment side of things and pay too little attention to the images you intend to produce.

Someone gifted in seeing can work within the limitations of the equipment, the fanciest kit doesn’t guarantee good results.

Sorry, I’ve wandered a bit off-topic here so I’ll get down from my soapbox.

As I originally said, few terrestrial videos mention the make of camera used to produce them. I’m wondering why, when aerial footage is no longer an awesome and expensive-to-produce thing, the drone model is included in the introductory title.

2 Likes

Fair comment from all, each to his own I suppose.
I try to give as much info in the description, as I myself like to see what people have to say about the video, location etc, an example from one of my videos:

Second in the “Over Malta” series, this one is of an abandoned hotel on the slopes of the Marfa Ridge overlooking Mellieha Bay. The ruins of the Festival Hotel are located in the Sdieri area, between the Red Tower and the boathouses in Mellieha. Now abandoned, the building has been defaced by graffiti. The hotel, as you can see was almost completed but the hill side started to give way, so construction was stopped, leaving this ruin behind. Architect was Richard England. He designed a dozen other hotels in Malta, for example: Cavalieri Hotel (demolished, replaced by Cavaliere Art Hotel) St George Park Bay Hotel White Rocks Holiday Complex (another famous abandoned hotel, urbex space) Salini Resort (current hotel is completely refurbished with little left of the original design) La Valletta Resort (also abandoned): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard…) Many thanks to Patrick VS for the info: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUIf…
If you like what we are doing, HIT the Subscribe button.
Visit our website: https://www.catherinecourtpictures.com
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cathe
…Or follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CathCourtPics

2 Likes

Love the description but I’ll be honest I don’t ever read them unless advised to by who ever I’m watching “link in the description”

1 Like

Description is great. The more info in a description, if it adds to the imagrs, the better. I try to put a fair amount of info on the Dronescene map when I add a location. But I’m thinking that mentioning the kit used in the title of a video is superfluous.

2 Likes

I’ll add to the mix any titles that spin, bounce, flash or are in comic sans.

I call it the ‘Publisher 95’ effect, I’m sure my big boss still uses it to produce powerpoint slides.

Just because the effects are available in your editor of choice does not been you have to add every single one.

4 Likes

Noone lists the info in ground vids because there are soooo many cameras that do exactly the same thing or have very similar stats. Drone video is not yet all that populated with hundreds of models all doing the same thing. Also there are many other things to account for with drone footage too i.e. stability, conditions (evident in some footage) etc etc. I used to look at some drone footage and wonder how the hell they managed what they did and with what etc until i got my own drone and learnt. My open titles are the same in every vid i make ‘Title’ By Drone, then all other info is in end credits. Noone really cares what makes a ground video but everyone whats to know what drone was used. Akin to that some people can make Mavic pro footage look like something that was shot with the Inspire 2 29k setup. And i have seen Inspire footage look like it was shot with a 30 quid argos special… People want to know. With the exception of you lolol.

2 Likes

Agreed Chris. Though I do think you could have made your point more forcefully if you had used ALL CAPS and some clip art … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@macspite If a video is being made for general YouTube viewing, then the title is one of the most important aspects to tell the YouTube algorithms what the video is about and how to suggest it to viewers. If you’re making a video that is in truth only going to be watched by your friends and family or whoever you send a direct link to, then of course there’s no real reason to include the equipment used. But videos aimed at mass-viewing on YouTube do require crystal clear titles as well as the clear wording in the first few lines of the description, partly for viewers to read, but actually primarily for YouTube itself to work out what the video is about so it knows how to suggest it.
In addition, many people watch videos for learning about their own equipment, so if a channel creator is uploading content on different models, it’s important that viewers know whether the latest upload is something they should watch or give a miss. There’s an awful lot of content out there and most people haven’t got the time or the inclination to click and watch and see if it’s relevant…
Ian

3 Likes

Worded perfectly :ok_hand:

1 Like

Aye, each to their own

1 Like

Ian, I can understand the need to include the model of drone if you are making an instructional video or hoping to make money from it but most of the videos on YT are vanity projects. Which I suppose explains the over elaborate title sequences beloved of many.

I still find it peculiar to sky cameras though. Very few videos seem to feature [name of place] by [video camera model]. A restaurant meal tastes much the same whether a Sabatier knife or one from Wilkinsons is used. Given the resolution of most devices used to watch online video it’s pretty difficult, for me at least, to tell the difference between images produced by an Inspire with a Zenmuse X5, a Mavic Air (both of which I know well) or a Yuneec H920 with a CG03.

“Cracking painting of that bird, Leonardo! What brush did you use?”

1 Like

A good point I guess. But then maybe its a nice informational titbit to add. Drone photography / videography is quite new to many so maybe it is of interest. Im sure folk will cease doing it at somepoint when droning is either (god forbid) barred or we all get more used to the technology. :thinking:

*This paragraph was typed using a Microsoft Surface Keyboard with mouse guidance via the Logitech MX Ergo :grin:

1 Like

I think simply not everyone wants to read descriptions, they may just want casually browse YouTube or which ever platform you use so with the make and model in the titles surely just enables easier viewing for your audience whilst knowing what caught the footage. To me personally when I was looking to purchase my first decent drone these make and model titles came in handy.

I’m more likely to click on a video if it said
“Flying over the coast with DJI’s Inspire 4K”
Than I would if it just said
“flying the coast”

Especially if I were again looking to purchase.

2 Likes

@macspite This is very true Robert. If I publish a scenic video with no tutorial element, I usually just mention the place. But if it’s a tutorial or review, the model is crucial. Whether or not it’s a vanity project, well, I guess that boils down to what YouTube knows you usually look at and what it therefore offers to you in your feed.
Me, I’ve found tutorials and reviews always get watched far, far more than simple scenic flights. Casey Neistat once said “no one wants to watch your stupid drone video unless there’s a story” which might sound harsh, but tends to be true… Last vid on Mavic Mini flyaways (with Mavic Mini is title) did really well, yet my favourite video of all time, in Iceland early last year, remains one of my least viewed videos… Horses for courses :slight_smile:
And here’s the Iceland video, just because… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice Ian. Plenty of kit description and other useful links in the YT description. You could have said it was filmed on a Mavic Zoom, Autel Evo, Inspire with Z3 or a Pansonic GH4 hung from a Tarot X6 - with 4k uploaded at 1080 and watched on a 24 inch monitor I think it’s impossible to tell the difference

And it’s the images themselves - like the ice covered waterfall with the water dropping through ice holes or the incredible bridge that matter (to me) and not the kit that produced them.

I have had a hard time with photography, having studied for four years at Manchester Polytechnic. For years after I was unable to take a simple snap for fun. My girlfriend studied English Literature, which completely buggered up her ability to read a book for enjoyment, she HAD to critique and deconstruct the narrative and form,

Maybe my antipathy to the latest shiny grew from the fact that the onlycamera I owned in those 4 years was a battered Nikon F with an aftermarket 28mm lens. I worked within the limitations of that in order to gain my degree.

Having said that I’ve just gone a spree and grabbed a Nikon D750, Sigma 105 2.5 macro and Nissin Di866 Pro flash as my Kodak DCS Pro was becoming increasingly outdated and unreliable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having a Mavic Platinum, Spark and now the new DJI Spark I like to tell the forum what drone I used on the video it gives a better insight what each drone does and the quality of the video.

2 Likes