Vimeo Vs YouTube

Almost don’t need to play them to see the difference …

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing Richard, :+1:t4:

Personally I can’t see a difference, maybe because I’m using my phone. :thinking:

1 Like

I can see it in the screenshot :+1:t4:

tbf - there’s no reason for the embedded preview to be the full res … but I know which one lures me to play it. :wink:

1 Like

Both played and paused at 30secs

Vimeo

YT

1 Like

If I play them both at the same time I can see YT is lacking to start until it catches up, that might be because I’m on a 200mbps connection, others might find it a lot longer to look as good :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I can see that the top one has more detail in the dark green trees to the right of the spillway.

1 Like

I’ll jump on the pc in a bit and try side by side, :+1:t4:

YT is damned annoying for not always kicking in at full res. At least that doesn’t happen on Vimeo.

2 Likes

Re: My screen shots above

Not sure what the YouTube version plays, when I watch YT it normally defaults to 360p :tired_face: but Vimeo displays 1080. These are both Screenshot in 1080

Vimeo 1080

YT 1080

Play them up on the TV. :wink:

1 Like

Do Vimeo do a smart TV app? :thinking:

1 Like

I chromecast to the TV from their app.

1 Like

… so, to compare, I use chromecast from the two apps.

1 Like

Watching both on my PC now, Samsung 4K monitor and I can definitely see the difference.

The difference is Almost as much as YT was shot in 720P against Vimeo’s 4K :scream:

Actually quite interesting, I thought YT’s quality was amazing now not so sure…
but is it worth the PRO subscription :man_shrugging:t3:

Reason being because it’s only for others to watch… I have the proper Versions stored on a harddrive for me to watch the full quality.

So unless your using it for online storage can I really justify it :thinking:

2 Likes

That’s exactly my take on it as well, why pay subs for others to benefit. Only reason I looked into it as I like sharing a link with my mum n dad so they get to see what I’ve been filming and it’s better to let them see the higher quality. I tried uploading to google Drive and sharing the link to raw video, but Drive kept locking up. Joined another storage site, Mega NZ and it uploads fine but takes ages to download and buffers while watching.
Any other file sharing sites I could try that comes recommend by you guys?

1 Like

My father-in-law swears by Plex
He’s always using it. Anything he has on his PC at home he watches here when he comes over with no issues at all either on pc or tablet :thinking:

They also do a smart TV app so you can stream from your PC to TV :+1:t4: