Vimeo Vs YouTube

I’m a keen user of YouTube for my videos that I create when droning but have noticed quite a few of you guys use Vimeo. I had a quick look into Vimeo and at a glance it looks like it’s a paid platform. Am I reading this right or missing something? What’s the benefits of paying Vimeo over YouTube which is free. :thinking:

I signed up to Vimeo when it started. I’ve never ever watched a video on it because every single time they just buffer. Even today

1 Like

One word … Quality. Knocks the spots off YT.

Open a free account - upload the same video to both - compare.

3 Likes

I opened a free account a couple of days ago,
When I had those issues with that brightness video :man_facepalming:t4:

Went to share it on here to see if it was better than the YT version to then find out I couldn’t unless I paid for a package.

You can still share the link - it just doesn’t embed.

Doesn’t prevent you comparing the same video on each platform.

Luckily, although my Vimeo is free, I’ve had it for years and I’m able to embed videos here. :grin:

2 Likes

Ah okay that’s good to know that I can still share the link. I thought it would of just been listed as private.

The pro account prices are quite expensive IMO
Some are the same price as SKY TV, and I can’t see the wife and I sitting and watching Vimeo in the evenings :joy:

I just cannot afford more than “free”. Simple.

2 Likes

@OzoneVibe

Just gone to share the link (to LUT thread) and got this

Totally agree! Quality difference between Vimeo and YT is night and day.

1 Like

I’m intrigued… quality how? :thinking:

Isn’t 4K streaming, 4K streaming? Or do you mean in other ways?

Have you marked it private?

Should have “Anyone”.

1 Like

When I mark everyone it asks me to sign up to a pro account :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

4k at 5mb/s isn’t the same as 4k at 120mb/s (not that I’m saying that’s their rate.) They just compress less.

1 Like

Ah okay, good to know. :+1:t4: I have heard that YT compress quite a bit.

They must have clamped down even more. That’s a shame.

Can’t see what their business model is if they take it that far.

1 Like

I had a Vimeo account when I started flying FPV some years ago when it was free. I tried reactivating it but couldn’t.

I had to register a new account but I can’t be asked with all the hassle, I got an email last year saying they were going to delete my account as I’d not used it for too long; they deleted it…lol

1 Like

I narrowly missed having that happen to me. Only by chance, when changing phones and installing the app on the new phone and logging in, did I discover I was about to loose it.

1 Like

The other thing is they only keep your videos for a year then delete them…:thinking:

1 Like

Nope - have some several years old.

1 Like

Not used Vimeo much, I have a free account and have some videos from a few years ago if you want to compare.

1 Like