Violence and aggression towards remotely piloted aircraft pilots and ground crew: An international study

Massey University School of Aviation invites all users of remotely piloted aircraft (RPAs, also known as drones, UAVs, model aircraft, etc.) to participate in a study examining the prevalence of violence and aggression towards RPA users, and the nature of such events. Your participation is essential in understanding the nature of such events and contributes to the advancement of knowledge in aviation safety.

The research team encourage all operators to complete the survey, regardless of whether or not they have experienced violence or aggression aimed at them.

You can read more about the study at https://www.aviation.govt.nz/about-us/media-releases/show/invitation-to-participate-rpa

The survey itself is here:

You will not be asked to provide any contact details.

5 Likes

Done…

1 Like

Completed

1 Like

Me too, although while not wearing my glasses and on mobile it wasn’t immediately clear that these two grey boxes are actual buttons that need clicking on before it will let you proceed :nerd_face:

2 Likes

done

1 Like

Completed

1 Like

Never had any direct confrontation, plenty of pleasant chats with passers-by. Filled form nonetheless.

2 Likes

Done !

1 Like

Survey done.
Same as Robert @macspite, I’ve only ever had pleasant interactions with other people when flying my drone, mostly curiosity and interest.

1 Like

Only had the one potential angry farmer who thought I maybe checking out his machinery to steal at a later date. After viewing the video I had just taken of public common land nearby he left saying drones are not so bad and he may think about getting one himself, don’t know if he actually did, but just being friendly and explaining my drone operations defused any dispute. Public education of drones and users would be great advancement, generally people only hear the bad side.

1 Like

Done

1 Like

Done.

1 Like

Done.

1 Like

Thanks everyone :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be interested to hear if the US have seen an increase in aggression, since Remote ID was introduced!

1 Like

Not yet had an issue

Done

I’ve had a few experiences of the usual Karens yelling “you can’t do that here” over the years, but they usually get bored and wander off if you ignore them

1 Like

Done, thanks for the link.

1 Like

I hope DJ Fraudits sees or hears about this survey :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Done
Only had curiosity here, apart from one incident early on when I though I was on common lane, but it was privately owned. I was just asked to leave and did.

1 Like