VLOS and navigating via drone cam's display on smartphone or suitable controller - UK specific question

You do?

Taken from the report referenced above where the police officer crashed a Matrice:

The CAA were of the view that if you needed to rely on the controller screen to determine the UA’s orientation then that would not satisfy VLOS rules.

I asked the question on another thread when someone was looking to get more than 950m. Even if you can see your flashing Cree lights at that distance, what’s to say a Mini 2 is not hovering in that area with no lights. There’s no way you can see that obstacle VLOS. I know it’s all about chance versus risk. Just something to chuck in the debate.

CAA can have any view they like, but there’s nothing about determining orientation visually in the actual regulations. You must be able to fly the drone to avoid hazards, so it helps to know which way it is pointing, but there are several ways to do that.

1 Like

Yet they don’t mention that in CAP722 ?

In fact they only mention orientation once, in relation to operating from a moving vehicle or boat :person_shrugging:

Following the Dorset Police drone incident, the AAIB requested CAA interpretation with regard to VLOS requirements which was as quoted by @Dorje Ben. They were therefore tasked by the AAIB to clarify the requirements of VLOS as the current documentation was considered ambiguous.
Guess the CAA are working on a revision.

Document that could potentially be used to sue people/authorities ‘ambiguous’

There’s a surprise.

2 Likes

Ive put orange luminous tape on mine, Legs, Top, sides, and rear works a treat also seems to keep gulls away after a cautious look. And no it doesn’t take it over 249gs.

2 Likes

Yeah barely weighs anything at all. Mini 2 without anything added is 242g. Add some decals, maybe half a gram. ND filter, maybe a gram. All stays well within 250g.

My problem is that if I have my reading glasses on I can’t see the drone, and if I have my distance glasses on I can’t read what is happening on the screen. And no, I can’t get bifocals with my eyes.

1 Like

I share your pain as I am the same, astigmatism doesnt help much. I always have to have a pair of glasses over my eyes and another on top of my head so I can swap over when i need. Im.due my retest shortly and my employers have introduced private healthcare which includes glasses, im thinking contacts for close up and glasses over them for distance :thinking: :grinning:

As a varifocal wearer (with slight astigmatism) I tried this as a vanity exercise but the other way around; distance vision corrected with contacts and the reading glasses for, well, reading. What I found was that I needed the specs for close-up far more than anticipated, to the extent that they were on so often I pretty much may as well have just been wearing my varifocals. :laughing:

I have my reading glasses on the end of my nose so I can glance down and read the screen,.look up and see the drone. Works for me.

1 Like

I have the same problem!
That’s why i am considering getting a Mavic 2 Zoom as well.