VLOS the new regulations... No more 500m

Well done @Windswept :clap::clap::clap:

Brilliantly done, to the point and gets my vote :+1:

1 Like

:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2: love it :rofl:

1 Like

Weā€™ll have to get Robert down to one of our meet-ups :slight_smile:

Brilliant, says it so well , we need to get Robert on the CAA and Department of transport advisory group .
This new rule does solve the DJI mini 3 pro signal loss problem though lol

@Windswept TBH i lost view at sub 20 metresā€¦Ooops!

Thanks for the support, folks. I think I just created a video saying what most of us (if not ALL of us!) are thinking. Itā€™s getting more and more ridiculous and we need more voices saying that theyā€™re just not going to comply. Itā€™s all very well inviting CAA reps onto your show and pontificating over the minutia of the regulations and nodding along like a plastic dog on the parcel shelf of a Volvo, but thatā€™s just playing their game. Iā€™m not going to do that.

So ya boo sucks to the drone polis :wink:

8 Likes

What a great wee video there Windswept. Good points made about stupid laws that havenā€™t been repealed in over 140yrs. I didnā€™t know it was illegal to ā€œ linger after a funeral ā€œ . Iā€™m going to write that into instructions following my funeral. Itā€™ll be ā€œ Well folks thatā€™s me oan ma way ti heaven. Now all o yeā€™s bugger aff tae the pub, but dinny get drunk.ā€ :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

If you take off, orientate nose out away from you, fly straight out without any yaw or roll, youā€™ll always know the orientation of your drone even when its a dot. Returning back to yourself, just pull the stick back without yawing or rollingā€¦or perhaps just RTHā€¦ :thinking:ā€¦ :rofl:

This is where the old courselock mode came in handy.

Also great for video until DJI got rid of it with Mavic 2. Now its only in hyperlapse.

I think the American view of VLOS is better than ours - 51 drones on YouTube did a short describing it.

1 Like

Good man :bowing_man:t2:

1 Like

If I didnā€™t know better Iā€™d think this was aimed at someone in particularā€¦

2 Likes

Nail on the head! :facepunch:

1 Like

Itā€™s just grifting, and using thumbnails that wouldnā€™t look out of place pinned up inside a telephone box on a dodgy London Streetā€¦ or so someone told me :smirk:

Overall I donā€™t have much thought one way or another, but I do resent it when he discusses a subject he obviously has no working knowledge of, and takes umbrage when you question him on his ā€œfactsā€.

I was going to go on a rant earlier in this thread about some, usually those with limited experience, banging on about the validity of the current regulations and why we must abide by them (ā€œif you fly FPV without a spotter you could hit an aeroplaneā€¦ umkayā€), without producing any evidence to back such nonsense up with.

The CAA, when it comes to the craft and technology we are using today, are so behind the times. In the interests of safety it may have rung true back in 2010, when we were all flying SK450 frames, the one with the foam ball mounted at the front to aid orientation, equipped with KK1 flight controllers or hacked Wii boards, and using motors and ESCā€™s from model planes. Even back then we didnā€™t kill anybody when we flew BVLOS.

Again, the current restrictions have no grounding in safety, because if they did weā€™d have examples where an imminent threat was averted by adopting their ā€œduck and coverā€ mentality.

3 Likes

Totally agree - the VLOS debacle is a knee-jerk ar$e covering reaction following the Dorset police cock-up where the CAA were criticised by the AAIB regarding the ā€œvagueā€ definition of VLOS.

AAIB report itself states 3 safety items - none of which were VLOS related - were, in their opinion, the reason for the incident.

The AAIB Report ā€¦

ā€¦ right off to lie down in a dark room and take my medication :rage: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey, thatā€™s my thing. Find your own thing :crazy_face:

Despite all the determination shown by the ā€˜Iā€™ll carry on as I always haveā€™ or ā€˜not much chance of getting caughtā€™ schools of thought, we need to realise that the orientation rule has made a huge impact on droning in the UK. Even if you tough it out, there will be the nagging thought that if things go wrong, thereā€™s the potential to face serious charges if you now fly beyond a really short range.
With the media ready to pounce on any drone story, the police would have little choice but to prosecute if anything was brought to their attention and given the level of hostility to drones out there, complaints will be made. As a personal example, up to now, using small drones for SAR use has been developing very well, but the orientation rule has effectively killed it off as the risk of reputational damage is too great.

2 Likes

ā€œJust because the UA is still visible (for example, a dot in the sky), this does not mean that it meets the definition of VLOS. A RP must be able to visually determine the aircraftā€™s orientation at all times. While this may potentially be aided by navigation lights, the sole use of telemetry to indicate UA orientation to the RP is not considered as acceptableā€
Consider this:
As the RP I can see the ā€œdotā€ that is my M3P.
I know where it is, and I can see the air space around my drone.
Now if I have someone next to me with binoculars they can tell me the drones orientation. Therefore I am not solely using telemetry to indicate orientation.
Would this be within the VLOS rules?

If I send my drone up, point it in one direction and press the right stick up. The drone will fly away from my position, in a relatively straight line. Once itā€™s 200m away, it will be a dot in the sky. As long as Iā€™ve not touched the left stick, I will know the orientation of my drone ( remember itā€™s still heading away from me) When I want it to return, I could press the RTH button. I will know the orientation of my drone because it will ( should now) be flying straight back to me. I could do this up to 500m and comply with VLOS regs, but, it wouldnā€™t be much fun :wink::wink:

No, this would not be in accordance with CAA guidelines as you, or your designated spotter, canonot use artificial aids such as binoculars (although glasses with corrective lenses are acceptable).