VLOS the new regulations... No more 500m

Neil’s Geeksvana livestream last night was actually quite interesting. He did speak a lot of commonsense. Questioning why can we not use the screen as well as line of sight, to determine orientation ,(just how often do they fail ? )

I can see a good argument for allowing the screen for orientation as if its failed it pretty much always results in an RTH anyway.

(Definitely no good argument for using the screen for vlos though).

1 Like

That’s basically what Neil was saying. We have the technology at our fingertips, let us use it. As long as we maintain vlos, is there anything intrinsically wrong with glancing at the screen to see the orientation of the drone ?
With “ Mastershots” the control of the drone is automatic for a few minutes. I can maintain vlos but without using the screen I wouldn’t know the actual orientation. Anyway, we are expected to maintain vlos, whilst also scanning the immediate sky, looking out for stray Boeing 747’s or Airbus 380’s out to spoil our fun. :wink::wink::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

One eye on the drone one eye on the screen - we’ll all end up looking like Marty :crazy_face: :joy: :joy:

its_marty

The 500m ruling has a clear objective basis but whether or not a pilot can determine the craft’s orientation is clearly subjective
Mr Plod: please land your craft as I believe you may be committing an offence
Pilot: Certainly but please do not speak further until I land it
Drone is landed
Pilot: what offence?
Mr Plod: I do not believe you could determine the craft’s orientation at that distance
Pilot: I am an experienced drone pilot with a CAA certificate of competence and I was able to determine its orientation
Chance of a conviction - zero?

2 Likes

Multiple guess quiz.

1 Like

Not really the point - but yes the CAA competence test is multi-choice…just like the DVLA theory test to get a driving licence or SATS tests - it is not aimed at awarding a degree in aeronautics

Still need a practical test though, I’m still amazed there is none needed for drones

There is a requirement for practical flight training too before the certificate can be awarded
We can discuss, probably on another thread, whether or not the course content is too rudimentary. My own view is that it does give the beginner a grounding in the basics with the added benefit of allowing >250 drones to be flown in more places and closer to people

1 Like

?

This from UAV
The A2 CofC requires you to complete a theory course and take a formal invigilated theory exam. The exam is 30 multiple-choice questions and you have to score 75% to pass. You also have to complete some practical flight training which can be self-training or by spending some time with one of our instructors.

Another tick box with zero evidence

So back to your DVLA analogy, at least the practical is tested properly

Likewise there is no practical test for flying any RC aircraft. I know I flew my gliders (6-7 foot wingspans) well above 500 feet many many times. they were much heavier than 2Kg too.

1 Like

Exactly so to call it a ‘qualification’ is a little bit of a joke

You are required to submit logs, so slightly more than tickbox, but as I said above it is only intended to give beginners a grounding in the basics, surely a good thing and so I would not want to go around poking fun at those that have at least made some effort

Not poking fun at all at any individual what so ever, more the process and how its implemented.

They are pretty stringent on the theory tests, showing the room on your webcam etc, yet the ‘practical’ could be me or anyone flying your logs.

At least with the PFCO you were physically watched/assessed flying.

If anyone wants to “Willy Wave” feel free to print this off and stick it on a badge, T-Shirt, Cap, Fluorescent Vest, Business Card, you car, your kids……

My A2CoC the exam was audited properly (as as it could be remotely) with a camera of the room, live updating on google docs etc.
No practical test though. No logs needed either. Just a 60 second discussion on what drone flying id done recently.

The standard CAA test for a new drone only i just multiple guess and looks designed purely to familiarise with the law and nothing else. Certainly doesnt touch on flying skills or such.

My Irish/EASA one you had to watch a video then do multiple guess tests. Couldnt skip to the questions until the system had logged you watching the video.

Yeah but again how do they know you’ve physically watched the video and not muted it whip Netflix was in another window :woman_shrugging:

Or in my cast left it running in the hotel room and sat on the terrace drinking a beer at the time.

Ultimately if you can answer the questions correctly that’s their ar$es covered so job done. I dont think anyone pretends these are qualifications.