Weather App

Thanks guys. I’ve installed a couple of apps on my iPhone but as you say they can’t accurately predict so I’ve got me anemometer. Sadly not £9 :slightly_frowning_face: But I guess £10.99 ain’t bad. Glad I joined the Grey Arrows, get some good tips. Cheers fellas :+1:

2 Likes

Off topic slightly, I’m annoyed that Prime members always seem to pay a few quid over the top. Kinda defeats the point really :confused:

I’ve often thought the same PingSpike but I guess if you order quite a bit of gear it beats Royal Mail or other mail order companies. It is what it is I guess.

1 Like

Hi living in the UK I use UAV which does it all happy flying.

I have RunwayHD and UAV forecast. I also use the MET office aviatio service which is free to register. You can also choose to have the TAF and METAR delivered in decoded format so no need to fully understand a METAR.

1 Like

Several images and one-liners immediately spring to mind - think i will say nowt :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I only pay them a passing glance.

Get it up and see how it goes.

4 Likes

similar to chris. flew yesterday if I was only looking at the weather apps wouldn’t have gone out at all.

saying that if it’s obvious don’t fly

2 Likes

I’m getting naffed of with UAV Forecast as well, wind and cloud cover always seem so pessimistic
Probably will stop using them soon

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What apps do people use for wind speeds etc ? Im using UAV Forecast, and I don’t know how accurate it is - if its not wind speed thats too high, its the number of available satellites thats too low - Jeez I’m getting confused. I look out of my window on Anglesey and it looks ok for a 100m max altitude but the app says “No good to fly”. Seems its only happy if there are 14+ satellites. My MPP and I are getting desperate !!!

1 Like

Here’s an example of forecast models “don’t agree with one another”.

Current free published data from nine models for the same location.

Grey/Yellow = Cloud cover/Clear sky
Green line = Wind
Blue = Rain

(Click on image to see all nine models.)

Forecasting models use live data at any point in time, and often take 3 hours to run, before they are published to people to pay big bucks for it.

99% of weather apps use free forecast data that’s from a data release that’s a minimum of 6, and usually 12, hours old.

Free data updates from forecasting models are once every 6 or 12 hours.

So the data you’ll be looking at in an app for your planning is probably based on actual data that’s between 12 and 24 hours old.
And there are loads of models, that don’t agree with each other, and rarely is any one of them correct.

So, if you can’t find current “actual” data - then rely on common sense before an app.

For the UK, the only app that actually does update based on actuals on a frequent basis is the MetOffice app … which has the crappiest UI of any app for anything anywhere … imo.

You can’t win them all!

1 Like

You should post a pic from your window Dave as a control.

Webcams abound!

1 Like

100% correct - Ive just got back in from a “Not safe to fly” in the app table. Weather was grand, bright sun, no wind up to 150 feet so I drained all 3 batteries and got some interesting footage and pics. As @milkmanchris said - “Just get out and fly” . Don’t know what the windspeed was over 200 feet but the trusty MPP was steady as a rock ( once it realised it was airborne again and not just staring out of a window ). Batteries, remote and iPad all on charge now ready for a repeat either later or tomorrow :pray:

1 Like

I didn’t realise that - good info. Common sense needs applying of course BUT even in these conditions there are “windows of opportunity”. Interesting the app said 28mph winds gusting to 32, with 9 satellites available - I flew in almost zero wind with 18 satellites. From now on that app gets a “passing glance” and i will trust my eyes and anemometer and just take things sensibly.

2 Likes

Meant to attach a photo - bleeding laptop decided top go on strike lol

1 Like

I use UAV Forecast but also Runway HD has aviation charts with wind speed indicators included (you can set height). You can also set your local airfield and it will show wind speed and direction there which will give an indication of wind in the general area. Not that you’d be flying near an airfield but you get my gist. Data is more or less live and the app includes notams.

1 Like

That’s the weather until late afternoon, BUT WHERE TO GO ? Decisions, decisions

1 Like

Very selective question, read the posts above as there are different opinions and I am sure your location makes no difference :wink:

I personally like to look out the window and generally use the stock weather app on my iPhone

1 Like