What do airlines mean by “spare batteries”?

That would explain why when I took a fully charged battery out of my MA2 one of three charged , 2 had started to discharge the one in the drone was warm ish :scream: totally forgot and not something I normally do , it has cooled down and auto discharged as the other 2 ! :point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks … That’s good to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently flew with easyjet to Iceland from |Edinburgh, I had my 3 x mini3 pro batteries stored in a lipo bag in my hand luggage. I had no issues at security at either airport, i also had 3 batteries for my DSLR camera too.
As far as i am aware its the total watt hours that matters, if is less than 100 then you are fine whether it 2,3 or 4 spare batteries.

Thanks… I really appreciate you feeding back on your ‘real world’ experience.

I have recently flown to Spain and Portugal with three batteries in a Lipo safe bag / labeled as ‘Drone batteries’ in my hand luggage. Never an issue.
I think as long as you show your being responsible by having your batteries in a protective bag then you’ll be fine.

1 Like

If you are traveling wit family or friends ask them to take the odd one (safely) wrapped of course. this is how i gwt my "Vape Batteries “abroad”.

1 Like

I recently (June) took my mini 2 flymore on an easyjet flight to Crete;
All three batteries are Ok to take, but they should be discharged to a reasonable level (I took mine down to about 25%) and packed into a fire-safe 3 pocket pouch. Both drone and battery pouch must be in hand (or overhead) luggage - they cannot be packed into hold luggage. There was no issue on wither end - went through the security scans both sides without any comments
Hope that helps

As an update, I am now in the departure lounge at Birmingham Airport. As others have said, passing through security was a non event.
I have my three batteries in a LIPO safe bag, so all seems OK (so far)

2 Likes

Final update… I am now back home, and had absolutely NO problems getting the Mini 2, controller, and 3 batteries up to, and back from Glasgow.
Im really grateful to all on here who offered advice, and gave me the confidence to take my drone with me, and to be able to take some (what I feel are) nice photos.

Thanks all

5 Likes

CARRY ON ONLY!

Any lithium battery is classed as dangerous goods. They will burn in an oxygen free environment (even underwater) as they produce their own oxygen. The only way to extinguish a lithium battery is to cool it (in water) will the fire triangle is broken. If it’s in your checked baggage who knows it’s on fire? And nobody can get to it to fight the fire.
An uncontrolled fire will burn a plane out the sky in 15 mins. OK, Valujet wasn’t a LIPo battery but the fire is the same… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1yyrfcxIxg
Check the dangerous goods page for your airline.

Oh and look at lithium fires on YouTube, do you want that burning where nobody can see it??

However don’t trust a lipo bag. There’s lots of videos on YouTube but remember that battery will burn for 20-30 mins at super high temperature. The bag will get hot, your surrounding clothes with then be the next stage of the fire.

To be clear, it was in carry on luggage, and based on EasyJet’s regulations :wink:

1 Like

In hand luggage, securely packed so they can’t rattle about and get physically damaged and so the terminals are protected from short circuit.

I carried the batteries in my laptop bag, in a Lipo bag, and also taped over the terminals to be extra sure :slight_smile:

The main Tahiti’s that if there is a problem/over heat/fire then in the cabin it can be detected and a fire drill commenced.
If it in checked baggage then it can’t be accessed!!
In an airplane an un-extinguished fire will kill everyone in 15 minutes!!