What was your first drone

As a beginner I’m wondering what other people have started out with…

1 Like

mavic 2 pro, I just liked the spec

Hello chap, it really depends what you want to do with a drone. First person? Aerial photography? Or just learn how to fly?

I had some of the cheap mini helicopters and drones about 10+ years ago, plus a few planes (which I all destroyed in bad landings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)…

Then got a mavic clone for about £50 and progressed to decent flying skills.

Upgraded straight to an M2P and never looked back. It’s totally different having a proper camera. Caused me to fall in love with aerial photography & filming as I was able to see the world from a different view and started to remember my earlier SLR basics.

The mavic mini looks to be a really decent starter drone for the money :+1:

2 Likes

Well, my first drone was a DJI Phantom 4 I got it as a surprise on my 18th birthday, it was such a cool gift! However, I was very nervous about flying it on the first few flights luckily beginner mode was enabled. After a while, I was taking it everywhere with me even though it was a slight pain to travel with. I don’t know if this is of any interest to you but I’m selling it due to the fact that I was lucky enough to get a Mavic 2 Zoom for Christmas! If you are interested in it do certainly DM.

But as @anon52324101 says what are you wanting to do or get from a drone, are you wanting it for racing or the photography?

1 Like

SYMA x5sw, followed by a Aosema cg035, then a cheerson cx20. Some selfbuilds. Various toy drones including a tello. Now the Mavic 2 pro and zoom and the typhoon h.

4 Likes

When you fly the zoom or even the pro, what do you use your phone or a tablet/iPad?

2 Likes

LBLA drone to start with, just to learn fly and I must say it took a fair amount of punishment, with uncontrolled landings and various crashes without any damage. Then a Hubsan H501S, now fly a Typhoon H Pro.

3 Likes

Thanks all… Thinking mavic mini just hope it’s OK in the Barnsley wind!

2 Likes

Phone. I’m looking for a new tablet at the moment to use.

2 Likes

My first drone was a dji f330 flame wheel running a kk2.0 board

It flew err badly

3 Likes

I first bought a DJI F450 quad frame,
But it didn’t get built, was supersceded by a HobbyKing Alien 560 Quadcopter frame which did get built and was the first I flew.
All I can say about the first flight was “thank God for RTH”
I’m pleading the fifth amendment to any conversations about that flight :innocent:

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Same here

1 Like

My 1st drone was a Phantom 4 but like Alex I was scared to fly it so purchased a Spark, awesome little drone, got used to that before attempting some decent flights with the P4, just traded the Spark in for a Mavic Pro and not looked back :grin::+1:

1 Like

Hi Charles
I started with my first drone last August I bought a Mavic pro from eBay and it’s great. The pics and vids are great quality and it’s a nice machine to learn to fly with. I started with my iPhone now moved to an iPad Pro better for my old eyes😎

2 Likes

Thinking of just getting one of those may I ask where you purchased it from

Ebay

1 Like

Back in mid to late 2013 I was signed off work for medical reasons never to return again. I wanted something to occupy my grey matter rather than be slowly lobotomised by daytime TV. Prior to my sign-off I’d been working on remote sensing techniques in aerospace communications so needed something equally taxing.

I found myself hobbling past the modelshop in my town and happened to clock some small multirotors in the window. I purchased a Hubsan X4 and a WiFi controlled Walkera QX100.

From there on, and has been ever since, a deep dive into insanity.

Nidge.

5 Likes

Wondering about going to the model shop leeds

P3A back in the summer of 2016, taught myself to fly on summer jollies in France.

Swapped it for the MP the following spring.

4 Likes

My Son & Daughter knew how i love Technology & Planes, so they bought me a Syma X5C for Xmas, Modded it to get a better range.
Hooked on Drones !, from then on.
The rest, (as they say) is history, had (just about) every DJI product there has been since that day (with a few exceptions).

1 Like