When to fly?

I was looking at the UAV forecast this morning and this was the chart. I realised don’t understand how it works. It showed that it was ok to fly when the cloud cover was over 70% but not ok when the cover changed to 80% an hour later. No rain is forecast. All the other parameters remained similar throughout the day. do that(I was going to show a screen shot of the chart but I don’t know how )

Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

Thanks

Ronidog

Look at the ‘settings’ and you can change the ‘values’ to, for example, 98% cloud cover and it’ll say you’re ok to fly up to 98%, anything over 98% and you will get a warning to say it’s not safe to fly.
It’s your own personal settings which you set for how you like to fly in and what you are flying. So if you set it to 30% cloud cover, that’s what it will tell you it’s ok to fly up to.
Same with wind. Set the maximum wind values, again for example, 20mph, and it’ll warn you it’s it safe to fly when the wind is over that value.
If you’ve got a spark, it maybe that you need the wind values set lower to warn you, if you have an inspire, which can handle higher winds, then you can set the warning value at a higher wind speed. Also you can set the height for the values in which it’s ok to fly. See my screen shot.

Hope I’ve explained it correctly.

3 Likes

Typo I think Brian, I think that should read NOT safe to fly with a setting of over 20mph.

1 Like

Lol. Yes you are right. Was concentrating on the flu jab when I typed that. Damn autocorrect kept typing all sorts as well. It’s a miracle anything made sense this morning

2 Likes

Do I get a badge?

1 Like

Yup…

The Plonker badge!

:rofl:

3 Likes

Ooooh … a little prick got you worried :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Said the buttock clencher Mmmmm

1 Like

That’s great, now I understand. is it worth paying the yearly subscription?

….and how do I take a screen shot ?

Personally I wouldn’t bother, just use the free version, you’ll soon learn when you are good to go, I hardly use it now.
I use an app called Clear Outside sometimes to check on the weather, cloud cover and wind etc.
There are a number of free apps that are good but over time you’ll find you’ll hardly use them, well, I don’t anyway.

1 Like

I didn’t even know they did a subscription version?!

What does it offer over the free one? :thinking:

I wouldn’t bother with the yearly subscription. As other posts say, there are lots of other free weather apps. I tend to use them so I know when to put my washing out to dry!! And if I’ll need wet weather gear or thermals on for work.
Screenshots…if you are on iPad/phone, just press the big home button at the bottom of the phone, and the button on the right hand side of the phone at the same time. This will take a photo of whatever is on the screen and save it in your photo album, you can then send it.

It offers the chance to see detailed weather on different profiles, ie, wind, rain, sun etc for more than 24hrs in advance in 7 day hourly forecasts AND can be used on more than one device that you own. but at £22.99 for the year it’s a bit fruity, I can think of better ways to spend my money. So tend to go with the free apps.

1 Like

I was a very brave boy lol

Hi Brian
I have just bought the subscription only because i have my first paid gig (whoop whoop) so i need the 7 day forecast so i can arrange with the client (listen to me)
It does offer 7 days which i will need to know as its some 35 miles away in Liverpool so an abortive trip otherwise plus meeting the surveyor on site. i will do a separate post about it but am just at planning stage and all from a post i put on facebook who would have thought…

Try these two. One is called weather radar, it’s free but shows you in real time the rain fall radar for now and the next hour, day or week, it’s free. As well as the wind and weather forecast. Although it shows adverts, that’s can be removed if you subscribe.
The other is called Advisory, it gives you the weather in a line form, you can set your parameters/limits and it shows up on the graph as a line, the nearer the top of the graph it gets, the riskier it is to fly. A couple of screenshots to help you find them

image image

A couple more from weather radar

Re screenshots, I am on a pc

Ah. There is a way, by pressing certain keys but can’t remember which ones, maybe the font of all knowledge (Google) will know the answer to that one

@Ronidog
Dave,
This might help,

1. Click on the window you would like to capture .
  2. Press Ctrl + Print Screen (Print Scrn) by holding down the Ctrl key and then pressing the Print Screen key. …
  3. Click the Start button, located on the lower left-hand side of your desktop.
  4. Click on All Programs.
  5. Click on Accessories.
  6. Click on Paint.
1 Like