When to fly?

It offers the chance to see detailed weather on different profiles, ie, wind, rain, sun etc for more than 24hrs in advance in 7 day hourly forecasts AND can be used on more than one device that you own. but at £22.99 for the year it’s a bit fruity, I can think of better ways to spend my money. So tend to go with the free apps.

1 Like

I was a very brave boy lol

Hi Brian
I have just bought the subscription only because i have my first paid gig (whoop whoop) so i need the 7 day forecast so i can arrange with the client (listen to me)
It does offer 7 days which i will need to know as its some 35 miles away in Liverpool so an abortive trip otherwise plus meeting the surveyor on site. i will do a separate post about it but am just at planning stage and all from a post i put on facebook who would have thought…

Try these two. One is called weather radar, it’s free but shows you in real time the rain fall radar for now and the next hour, day or week, it’s free. As well as the wind and weather forecast. Although it shows adverts, that’s can be removed if you subscribe.
The other is called Advisory, it gives you the weather in a line form, you can set your parameters/limits and it shows up on the graph as a line, the nearer the top of the graph it gets, the riskier it is to fly. A couple of screenshots to help you find them

image image

A couple more from weather radar

Re screenshots, I am on a pc

Ah. There is a way, by pressing certain keys but can’t remember which ones, maybe the font of all knowledge (Google) will know the answer to that one

@Ronidog
Dave,
This might help,

1. Click on the window you would like to capture .
  2. Press Ctrl + Print Screen (Print Scrn) by holding down the Ctrl key and then pressing the Print Screen key. …
  3. Click the Start button, located on the lower left-hand side of your desktop.
  4. Click on All Programs.
  5. Click on Accessories.
  6. Click on Paint.
1 Like

I nearly lost faith in the forum then but @mickeydd came to the rescue Thank you

That’s the beauty of it, there’s always someone willing to help…it’s what makes this such a great club.

And your point is ?

Just the smutiness in me regarding

Well… I guess there was the double entendre there by me dropping the pin.

I’ve spent most of my life doing things that are weather dependant (Flying fixed wing [prop/jet], gliding, paragliding, parachuting [base jumping too], ballooning, sailing, skiing, hiking) and, despite the increased computing power available to weather modellers and forecasting since the 60s when I first flew, forecasts remain a joke.

Whichever tool you use, look at the weather for seven days ahead, then each day use that same tool to look at the same day as it approaches, take screen grabs of each forecast and see how they vary.

For a paragliding website I once did this and for where I was going to go (South Wales) it forecast a low pressure smack over the Black Mountains. Over the next 7 days the location of the low moved further NE each day until on the actual day it was over Finland.

The original forecast was kind of right … but it was the subsequent low that was over South Wales, not the one they forecast.

1 Like

Well… This morning, UAV forecast is telling me I can’t fly due to 100% cloud cover … yet I see clear blue sky with a few Cirrus clouds.
Seeing as I paid for a years subscription , I’m not too happy about that.

Oohps. Why not contact them and point out he problem. I would if I had a subscription.

Remember, being a weather forecaster is probably the only job in the world (other than politician?) where you can be totally incorrect every day and not get sacked.
I wish I knew that before I went to Uni! :wink:

1 Like

I use mwis for hill walking. They appreciate feedbackon their forecasts v actual conditions

My weather forecast accuracy scepticism means the following comes with a whole road-gritter’s worth of salt ….

But, indications are that Sunday morning in Central Southern England could start rather foggy!

There … that’s guaranteed no fog on Sunday morning! :+1:

But - there just could be some :foggy: / :fog: ! :wink:

1 Like

I was correct!

But I never got the shots I wanted (night time - motorway junction all lit up through the fog) because when I looked down the road it was clear.

It was only when I thought to check the motorway cameras I realised I’d been correct and missed it. Foggy away from the warmth of the town.

That’s a useful tip for fog hunting!

Edit:

Looks like some of the motorway cameras have got dressed up ready for Halloween! :rofl:

1 Like