Where to mount Strobon CREE lights on a Mavic 2?

Mine have been on with cable-ties for the last couple of years without any problem. They stay on all the time and the MP still folds OK and fits in the hard case with them on.

As in this post.

1 Like

Cheers Dave.

1 Like

That industrial 3M velcro stuff is pretty good. Iā€™ve got a few spare bits if you want to try itā€¦ DM me with your details if youā€™re interested.

Ned

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already got some high strength velcro Ned, thanks for the offer though. I just canā€™t decide whether to use the velcro or put them on, as Dave has done, with cable ties. Have your lights ever come off with the velcro?

1 Like

I agree with Ned. I use 3M velcro for my strobes, John. Never had a problem so far with them. Gives you the choice to easily remove them after a flight for recharging, etc.

2 Likes

Nope. I rigged up a little boom and had my red, white and green on itā€¦ Attached to my MM.

I have a M2P now, but I reckon I could rig something up in the same vein.

Ned

2 Likes

Thanks guys, think Iā€™ll go with the Velcro :+1:

1 Like

Thereā€™s a bit of a trick here, well, I think there is. The velcro on one surface, usually the drone, needs to be a bit longer than the velcro pad on the strobe. If you do that, you can put pressure on the extra bit, the bit thatā€™s visible, with you finger, and peel the strobe off nae bother.

5 Likes

Great tip :+1:

1 Like

I did thisā€¦

Sure, the fluorescent boom might have been a bit much (I was aiming for as much visibility as possible), but it worked.

Secured to the MM with an elastic band. Easy to fit/remove. Plus, no sticky bits of velcro on your drone!

Ned

1 Like

I hate sticky bits ā€¦ :laughing:

2 Likes

Cable ties do too, actually ā€¦ well, on the MP, the arms are a little slimmer at the motor ends, and sliding them to there provides enough slack to slip them out ā€¦ although I do usually charge them in situ.

1 Like

Like this ā€¦

5 Likes

3D print clamp LINK

I would definitely go with @OzoneVibe cable ties method after seeing how easy and simple it works.

2 Likes

Think I may be changing my mind now from velcro to cable tie lol

2 Likes

I see benefits in both methods. Ties have worked for me for 3 years.

Drones with different cross-section arms might favour Velcro, as might wanting the strobes to be facing a different direction.

Iā€™m happy with my two, one on each rear arm and facing downwards so that they are always visible.

Different colours and orientation? After a certain distance the colours are not so easily discernible, and if they face only in a certain direction then you canā€™t always see them.
Drone orientation? Basically I tend to constantly pay attention (as should we all) and know that ā€¦ and if in doubt the controller has far better info than possible misinterpretation of colours and ā€œpatternā€ the lights make.

Each to their own. :+1:

3 Likes

I can definitely see the merit in cable ties. Especially after seeing your vid. Admittedly, 3M velcro is more suitable for the drone I have. Both methods work and work well, thats the main thing. Strobon Crees are a fantastic bit of kit and not that expensive but you donā€™t want to risk losing them mid flight. Itā€™s definitely a case of what works best for you. :+1:

1 Like

I use these that I found on eBay

3 Likes

My concern with those types of mounts was the amount of airflow they block - and hence lift - and hence battery flight time.
Yes - probably only a small amount - but that was another reason for going with cable-ties, since the strobes are completely under the arms and have zero effect on air-flow/lift/flight-time.

2 Likes

I would have to agree but for most of what I do any affects they may have wouldnā€™t really matter , I donā€™t use them all the time , I have got the Velcro that I had for the mini as another option

1 Like