Why are some folks so obtuse?

• As a large portion of the National Trust’s land is leased to tenants, particularly tenant farmers, the public may have no right of access, except by public right of way
    Ma’Lud!, I rest my case !.(i think?)

Their own map in this case shows the entrance to the field opposite isn’t their land. So take a copy of the map from their website zoomed into the location and when challenged produce it.

1 Like

PRECISELY!, what i intend to do, Brian !.
(I feel a confrontation coming on Guys :innocent: )

4 Likes

Keep us posted please

2 Likes

A old thread I just noticed but here is my 2p.

A good while back I had far too much time on my hands in bad drone weather and watched a whole bunch of smart**** nutters producing videos of confrontations mainly with the police and other authorities they could wind up by deliberately filming people to “assert their civil rights” to do so. A number were mobile videos following a IMO legitimate police car stop. It appeared that police never took any action against these t****** whose main purpose was to show the world how smart they thought they were and how big a mouth they had .

Several instances of filming police stations and even army camps and power stations and even a mosque following a recent atrocity all from outside obviously. The whole purpose was to wind up whoever they could but never did I see any real action taken. In most cases the police once they identified they were speaking with an attention seeking idiot just did one and left them talking to themselves and wasting their time filming fences and brick walls.

While I have no time for these wind up merchants and really wish the police could give them a private interview away from a phone, nevertheless it would appear that actually filming people is not illegal. The Paparazzi seem never to get pulled for snapping some large busted celeb with her top off from 2 miles away. So why should we be feared of maybe accidentally briefly catching someone out walking their dog from a safe distance? They may be feared of being reported for not cleaning up after Rover and react accordingly but so be it.

It may be very bad manners, annoying and provocative but filming someone is not inherently illegal. Lets face it most TV news programs involve pointing cameras at people who didn’t ask for it.

3 Likes

I had one woman the other day took offence because she thought i was filming, i asked her to come and check and showed her the footage I’d took, she ended up a really nice lady, loved the pics/vid I’d took and when i actually showed her that her and her dog looked like ants she went away with a big smile and another educated person exists now :joy:

4 Likes

I see it more as a point to prove that the laws in this country allow you to film or photograph pretty much anything or anyone you like from the public highway.

The problem is uneducated security and indeed police persons who believe they have the right to stop people going about their lives taking photographs be it for a hobby or a living. some going as far as demanding that images be deleted or seizing equipment.

There are lots of cases of this, Prince Harry notably being the most recent, these wont make the headlines though and an apology is usually buried in the papers concerned (some where between the popular parts like page 3 and the crossword).

http://fotographicimages.co.uk/about-us/privacy-policy/

Is a pretty good summing up of the rights of photographers, and its worth making yourself familiar with the laws around photography (and of course drone flying).

I’ve seen it from both sides, I was a jobbing freelance tog for many years, but now work in the security industry, and am blighted by the modern practice of sticking a mobile in staff members faces as soon as a person is challenged for the smallest mis-demeanor.

1 Like

trouble is the country is panicked by the thought of terrorism and privacy, a couple of years ago a guy taking photos in Gloucester city centre was arrested they thought he was taking photos for terrorism purposes, released later but it just went to prove over reaction.
I will deliberately take mine when I’m there but not been questioned :unamused:

2 Likes

We have just delivered the latest ACT training at work, its damn scary shit.

I recommend everyone to take a look and read through the basics, again is a good thing to be familiar with while out taking photos, because security and police (uneducated) are using this as catch all to stop us all enjoying OUR rights as Photographers (and members of the public).

The section around ’ Hostile Reconnaissance’ is what they will pull you on

Find it at https://act.campaign.gov.uk

Indeed point taken, but doesn’t do any favours to anybody by filming rudely, aggressively and acting like a barrack room lawyer. Perhaps I was unlucky in the ones I saw but if I had been on the receiving of such behaviour I would probably have been reaching for the cuffs early doors.

I thought in all the cases I saw the police were very respectful, reasonable and actually agreed with the principal of freedom to film. It seemed reasonable to me for police to advise filming across the road from a mosque a few days after the Finsbury Park incident was perhaps a tad provocative and maybe go film somewhere else to establish one’s right to do so. The objectionable ones as you suggest are the ignorant jobs worth types in security uniforms who are not capable of an intelligent conversation and best ignored. Not that there will be too many of them where I fly.

I think with the proliferation of Vloggers and anything and everything that happens now being filmed and instantly on YouTube the genie is well out of the bottle anyway. As long as you aren’t filming a working nuclear power station or an obviously sensitive area or being just plain inconsiderate or stupid IMO there will not usually be any consequences other than a friendly chat with plod. Others can politely be told to do one.

2 Likes