Why is there such a large restricted arear around Durham/Frankland

Brand new drone owner (Teesside), just browsing drone flying locations and noticed the seeming massive restricted area around Durham and Frankland prison aka FRANKLAND/DURHAM zone

I can understand a prison, however even then restricted area covers a massive amount of land in comparison to other zones (and prisons), most of the city is also covered. Why so large? Is there any oversight to the assigning of areas or has someone just got out a big red pen? Other restricted areas seem very specific in their boundaries.

1 Like

Thats DJI for you

Hmmm,

It is quite large eh.

I found this…

Warrants further investigation though.

Ned

1 Like

Not DJI - just an “Airspace Restriction” (… that I tend to turn off. :smiling_imp:).

2 Likes

Applies to helicopters only. Except those operated by or on behalf of UK Police Forces

R432 refers -

Also

The area within which restrictions apply in respect of HMP Frankland is extended to encompass HMP Durham.

2 Likes

It’s a shame there isn’t better detail in the source data, there are so many of these restrictions that aren’t really relevant to drones.

1 Like

Has anyone got an update on this? I suspect that the helicopter restriction might pre-date the drone era.
Durham looks a great place to use a drone.

Hi i am a perfessional drone pilot i joined a membership last month. If you need to fly in this area you get the permission and tell the purpose for the flight.

To fly a drone over a prison, you must first obtain permission from the relevant authorities. This typically involves contacting the local police and air traffic control, as well as the prison itself. It is also important to have a good reason for flying a drone over the prison, such as capturing aerial footage for a film or conducting a survey.

Do You have a link to that information?

and what if you fly higher than the restriction

1 Like

You dont need to get permission to fly in the large area that’s marked in red. That is EGR 432 and it only applies to helicopters. Clearly, flying over the prison is a different matter :wink:

Can You Fly A Drone Over A Prison UK? - Drones Survey Services.

I’d be extremely surprised if a hobbyist was given permission… Commercial reasons then that’s understandable.

1 Like

I was expecting something official, not some poxy drone survey site

As long as you are above 164 ft AGL, you can fly over the prison :slight_smile:

Yep , very professional :joy::joy::joy::joy:( sorry, couldn’t resist ) :joy::joy:

That’s correct, there are no restrictions above that altitude other than the 400ft ceiling

2 Likes