Will most ESC's be OK on 6S LiHV packs

Hiya,

Once again, looking to those of you with more experience. I’ve got plans in the near future to swap my long range 7" over to 6S and probably LiHV.

I’m shopping around currently for a replacement ESC, and it crossed my mind that since 6S is at the upper end of the voltage range, ESC’s which support 6S might not be fine with the extra volt or so from LiHV.

I was considering either the Hobbywing XRotor 60A, or a Mamba F55, but I can’t find any “true” spec sheets anywhere which show what input voltage would start to cause damage. Even the manufacturer page just says 3S-6S which is not super informative here.

Interested to hear from anyone who knows.

Should add, I’ve emailed support for both manufacturers but not heard anything back yet. Will update the post if I do.

Why? I remember this coming up on a JB Livestream and he said not to use them.

One of those topics, some people swear they’re great, others seem against them. I’ve been using smaller 1s ones in other projects with no problem.

Higher energy density basically, it’s a lot of weight to save by the time you get to large packs. I was tempted by Li-ion but I think the current draw would be too much.

I’d use them on whoops at 1S.

But I’d go for 6S with better C rating or Lion if I wanted more capacity.

I have some mollicel 21700 4.2Ah packs. Have no problems supplying 25A ish.

I run them at 4S, but at 6S you’d need less amps.

Build thread for my 6". Battery discussion towards the end:

If the ESC says it supports 6S, the hassle is more that the initial input voltage is 23V so the output needs more regulation and control.
You’ll know if it doesn’t work as something will probably go ‘poof’ or ‘pop’ :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my problem. There are other cases where this is just manufacturers ‘dumbing down’ the tolerated range range to suit consumers and other cases where actually that extra 1V is too much and things go pop.

I’m on the fence about Li-ion packs still, I think it would work, but I don’t fancy soldering them myself and pre-built are a pretty penny.

Technically the quad could pull well over 100A, would probably have to limit it in firmware somewhere to stay safe.

My reasoning is, is that you can get lihv 6s easily. But I’ve never seen a 6s lihv compatible esc. Which tells me its all good.

The problem is that you’re going to be looking at top end kit to get the overheads of safety. 100A isn’t really anything too special these days, the 6S part is the more unusual part.
I used to use Scorpion esc’s though nothing at such heay power pulls, I budgeted for a peak pull of 50A then added a safety margin to peak at 75.
I do know that a single Scorpion Tribinus II is quite capable of handing 120A continuous and 150A burst on 6S packs at 26V input, higher up the range they say up to 300A using 16S (!!) cell sets but then that’s just for a single large scale heli motor or enormous RC plane plane motor and they are a bit on the expensive side.
For a quad set up on 6S packs you’d probably be looking at four Tribunus 06-80A ESC’s probably overkill but they are going to handle whatever a single motor chucks at them.
In any case you’re throwing more mass in, a physically large and heavy 6S pack (5100MAH is a bit over 800g), X4 chunky ESC’s (figure 250G) the power needed to fly that mass ramps up, quite where you find a sweet spot between the mass, performance and endurance is the question.

So Diatone have got back to me and said 26V on the input is “OK” for the Mamba F55, no word from Hobbywing yet.

2 Likes

Rather than solder I use a simple battery powered spot welder. The cells are connected with a strip of zinc. The pocket spot welder is not to difficult to make yourself or you can purchase readymade for relatively little money. It’s a lot easier and significantly safer than soldering the cells together.

Soldering really wasn’t an issue. Sanding the surfaces before hand and a big chunky soldering iron bit… there are youtube videos.