Wind is our enemy

Well I’ve gone and had my first potentially expensive incident…last night I was on Sandown beach where the wind was moderate, I decided it was ok to put the drone up to photograph the sunset, up it went to around 30 mtrs (cliff height) it seemed ok…up a bit more to get the sunset in frame and took a 5 exposure shot, got wind warning tried to bring it down but noticed it drifting away, throttled backwards to no avail, switched to sport mode but by then it was drifting in and out of reception and out of sight…I gotta tell you I nearly cried but I held it together walked out and into the sea to try to regain signal but no…by now it’s almost dark, run to steps to get to top of cliff and tried to use find my drone, my poor dog didn’t know what was happening! The signal from FMD was useless till I went home got WiFi signal and it seemed to point exactly where it was…went back to the location, it was someone’s garden and they were very helpful but it was a large garden with trees etc and although we looked couldn’t find it…anyway off soon to try again. Fingers crossed it’ll be found and be ok…if not can I foresee a battle with DJI coz it could be deemed as my fault? I don’t know I hope not. Anyway wish me luck, whatever happens I’ve learnt a valuable lesson.

2 Likes

Good luck I hope you find it, if you can share the Airdata one of the more technical guys on here will probably be able to tell you exactly what went wrong

Is why it would be good to get the Airdata to determine what caused it.

A reminder of how strong the wind can be, even just a short distance up from take off. Fingers crossed you’ll find it unharmed in one of those nasty trees, and definitely post the air data in here, not just to find out the sequence of events, but it can also help to pinpoint its landing site.

Rules of the internet no video or Airdata, or it didn’t happen :wink:

3 Likes

Fingers crossed it’s resting in the trees undamaged.

1 Like

The wind is your friend” … for some …

Breaking the speed limit - How fast is your drone? Find out on our leaderboard!

100.28 mph DJI Mini 2

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

No luck finding it I’m afraid, went to exact point on controller which is in a garden nearby, owner had a good look even going on his garage roof, I’ve done leaflet drop in the area, but I don’t understand what is this point on the map? Is this where it finally come to rest or just where it lost complete signal? Then could it have flown somewhere else? Lost signal was set to RTH but it certainly didn’t do that. Anyway ve put in a case to DJI but don’t expect much luck.

The point on the map is the last point it recorded, not necessarily where it landed. Get the air data uploaded so we can have a look?

1 Like

Share the Airdata

1 Like

I’m sure RTH does not work when there are high wind warnings?

Update…DRONE FOUND…not by me or anything clever… good old fashioned Facebook…Drone was in perfect condition apart from 2 propellers…now I need to let DJI know to get it bound to my controller again. Thanks for peoples input.

5 Likes

That’s great news …. Well done :):+1:t3:

1 Like

Happy you found it, I’d still be inclined to look at the Airdata just to check as to what definitely caused it, it’s ok saying it was windy & think none other than that, but I’d be reluctant to put it back up in the air until I’m a 100% sure it was just that, just my advice.

2 Likes

DJI don’t open weekends so can’t get it bound back to my controller till Monday…unless of course someone knows different?

1 Like

Has DJI put a block on it then ? Sorry to ask & the only reason I’m asking is the only time I’ve heard of binding is when you bind the device yourself, again not 100% on your question, also I read on many DJI forums that once a drone has been activated DJI cannot block it unless things have changed :thinking:
If you don’t mind me asking what have they told you they’ve done regarding your drone / lost & or now is unbound ?

They haven’t said anything, I tried calling support tonight but was 5 mins to late…not open again till Monday… but when I tried to fly the drone it came up with a warning that the drone was a current designated flyaway aircraft. contact DJI support. anyway it connects all other ways, RC, camera works, gamble works…just won’t fly.

1 Like

Ah ok I’m with you as it’s reported as a flyaway,
If it all connects etc etc ( but just don’t fly ) I’m guessing it should be ok to hopefully download the flight log or have you tried that or checked already.

Yeah I had already downloaded flight log from controller, I totally blame myself after watching it. I felt quite sorry for the drone watching it attempt to come back to me lol. It was just to windy up there, though not on the beach, and I didn’t see the first 2 warnings as I was keeping VLOS.

1 Like

One of the many cases when following CAA rules of flying visually in VLOS gives you less information than simply looking at the screen :confused:

2 Likes

Anyway all is well in the end, I will say this I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of help I got from people in the area, I knocked many doors and no-one whinged, 2 got ladders out to check roofs etc it was much appreciated, the person who did find it left it on a wall in a safe place, don’t know who it was.

6 Likes