Wireless DJI O3 display to Android or Windows Tablet/Laptop

For the DJI O3 users out there, do you all use an app or know how to wireless display content to a tablet?

I had a moment with @bmsleight at the Knockholt meetup last year where we tried to get I think some HDZero goggles to display on a tablet and gave up, but it occurred to me afterwards that I’d want to be able to do that with my DJI Goggles 2 so I spent about 3 hours working it out. Personally, I don’t have a super large phone so figure being able to connect a tablet (and justify said tablets cost… /cough) would be cool for meetups?

Long story short, hotspot on phone, cable phone to goggles running DJI Fly app, wireless broadcast phone screen to tablet (wifi’d to phone hotspot) using developer tools. Despite being a software developer myself, this was a bit of a chore to setup first time, but only takes ~2 mins to setup now everything is installed.

There are some screen cast apps out there (for $$$) but wondered if anyone would find my writing up a guide on the above any use or is it pretty niche/easier to pay for those screen cast apps? Would be cool to have some ready to go guides on how to get various cam outputs to external displays…

Don’t want to take the time writing up a guide if a) one exists already, or b) no one cares :smile:

• Oh yeh, I’d like a guide on how to do that!
  • I already know how to do this (isn’t it obvious!?)
  • I’d rather pay for an app than jump through some 30 step guide
  • I couldn’t care less; Analog FTW!
0 voters

I did this sometime ago from an ipad and cast to my tv

It was a bit laggy but worked

Can’t remember what I used :thinking:

If you have a way then post it

1 Like

@group-fpv Must be some DJI users who have done this ?

I now have my walksnail usb-c out to usb-c monitor in working well. Just don’t have a drone at the moment :slight_smile:

/me heads to your activity feed to find out how fast you ran into a tree…
EDIT: Found :cry: Julia 0 Tree 1 = Lost Drone

The problem with that is it assumes the thing you’re plugging into is a usb-c monitor; when we plugged into a windows tablet they didn’t know what each other were? I assume there’s some kind of software adapter that would let windows accept monitor input, but haven’t looked into that yet - might make for another useful guide?

I’ve used Apple Airplay to mirror my iPhone to Macbook Pro/iPad using litchi and DJIFLY

I’ve also dabbled with the Relector App, ‘evaluation’ copies are available from the usual places.

Only used it with camera drones, but I presume hook up the goggles to an Iphone and you’ll be able to do the same

Yup, exactly the same as a camera drone (plugging DJI App on phone into goggles achieves same effect as plugging phone into a DJI RCN1).

I don’t use iGadgets (am a .Net/Windows developer so Apple/Mac/iFoo is anathema to me :sweat_smile: ) but good to hear they have something cooked in. I should probably update the title… “DJI O3 → Android → Windows”?

EDIT: I guess there’s a time frame on how long after OP you can change title, maybe an admin (@GADC_Committee?) can add a mention of Android to make it more clear?

The developer software to do that is entirely free but helluva faff compared to say “Relector App Evaluations”. Thus the poll, wasn’t sure if this is too niche a case to spend hours writing up a guide! :smile:

Sorted

Could you not just Google cast it to a TV with a Chrome cast

Ta, though not sure if clearer? I read that as “O3 → Windows or Android” as opposed to “O3 → Windows via Android”? I’m easy though. :smile:

Officially, you should be able to Chromecast to a Windows machine via Wireless Projecting - there’s a tonne of guides on how to do that; of the 6 I tried, not one worked for me…

Was thinking more “whilst in middle of field” so not sure TV would work for most, but then may be less niche than what I wanted, what do I know :smile:

Works a treat Android tablet to Windows 11 pc

2 Likes

Huh, maybe it’s only me that struggles with the Android casting then? In which case, here’s the guide:

Step 1: Cast your phone.

Thanks go to @Sparkyws :smile:

That was using AirDroid cast but you must be on the same Wifi network, so in the field it wouldn’t work unless you had Wifi

The problem with Andriod is every device is different

A MiFi device is cheap enough though ;o)

Just hotspot your phone and connect the device to your phone’s wifi - equivalent of being on the same wifi

Yes but my tablet doesn’t have a hotspot available as it doesn’t have a SIM, and I had already tried the hotspot with a phone but that didn’t work :joy:

Weird. So I can’t get the basic casting to work and you can’t get the hotspot to work; at least we both found workarounds! :smiley:

Maybe if we meet at an event we can fix each other’s stuff! :joy:

The following site has some tools that might be useful for what you are doing. The Android App mentioned has a last release date of over a year ago but the site works fine and has a live streaming options should that be a viable option for you.

https://fpvout.com/

Link provided as is, I have used and got it to work but YMMV. FYI you need a drone connected to show an image, just be careful of VTX temps. 2nd FYI, the android app might need OTG adaptor even if you have a USB C to C cable.

https://widefpv.com/ - looks good.

Not sure about the DJI O3 system but I used DigiView for android with my OG Air unit and Goggles V2.

This also allowed me to live stream my FPV feed to twitch using the Twitch mobile app to capture my phone screen while flying using my phones 5G connection at the field :+1:t2:

1 Like

Walksnail just need a USB-C <-cable->USB-C<->Monitor

Watching @RestlessZombi watching me watching @RestlessZombi

Screenshot_2024-01-13_18-24-50

1 Like