Worried about loosing Mavic pro

Hi
thanks for the reply’s, gave me a lot to think about.
A lot of people seem to follow the green line train of thought, not tried that but will give it a go, one thought though, if i follow the line and the arrow is not correct is it possible the that if i push forward for example the mavic will go in the direction it is facing and then i will have to correct for this ???, i can see a scenario where the mavic is all over the sky and then a low battery warning.
i liked alexmciver idea but as my i-pad is wi-fi only will this work out in the field and how will this help me to know what way the mavic is pointing ??.
Thanks
Mouse

1 Like

I can’t even see the green line on my phone so never use it, looking at the view on screen I can work out which direction it’s facing, and if all else fails there’s always the rth button.
If the drone is facing away from you then yes you just reverse your control inputs.
As to whether the iPad will work , answer is yes! If it has internet access like you’ve said then it will work.

Please DM me to chat about this further if you would like

Have you ever tapped it to make it full screen?

To be honest! It’s just something on screen I’ve never really bothered with or thought about .
So no I’ve never tapped to make it full screen, :blush: put that down to live and learn I suppose!
As I mentioned I tend to look at the monitor viewer, I find it easy to work out where I am and what direction, but yeh! The day could come on unfamiliar ground that I might not be able to navigate safely via the camera, so will investigate that with a view to using.
Thanks

Ah but it dont have wi-fi when out, and if in a unknown area i.e lots of fields difficult to know which one i’m in (Iceland was a nightmare) :sob:.
Return to home is a option but concerned that if red arrow is off what else is ??
My point in reply 20 is if the arrow points one way and i want the mavic to go right for example right stick will not make go right as the mavic is not pointing where it say’s it is, so i tend to go of in random directions, sorry if i was not clear to start with,

As far as I know internet is needed for go4app so you could always “hotspot your phone and connect iPad using phones WiFi , that’s what I do.

Something I find useful is to check where a landmark is and direction relevant to you, that way if you turn the drone till landmark is in the camera you will know which way it’s pointing, I tend to trust what I can see.
No landmarks and I’d be stumped as well.

Incorrect, I’m afraid. My drone-phone is never connected to the internet.

It needs to be initially to register the app, and if you wish to have maps, and to effect firmware updates from your device.
But, operationally, there is no needs for your device to be connected to the internet.

3 Likes

That is true however the maps are useful in unknown locations

I’ve never found I’ve needed maps whilst flying.

In places new to me I’ve done my research on what’s where, before I fly, using far better map apps.

The blank map still has the green line that tells me relative direction and the MP’s heading, if I need it.

2 Likes

Thankyou Dave,
I had always been under the impression you needed an internet enabled device…
No need for me to hotspot anymore :+1:it also answers @Mouse so his iPad will work . :slightly_smiling_face:
As to the little arrow ?? Maybe someone else has a better idea .

The little arrow is probably GPS related. If the device doesn’t have GPS (which I believe is the case for iPads without a SIM?), then this is the most likely cause of the problem.

To test this, some time ago I switched off all location services on my drone-phone and, indeed, that directional indicator was all over the place.

Makes sense - since the device is not necessarily at the Home Point (I often walk as I fly and hence have to keep updating the Home Point to where I am if I fear I may need it) so it will have no knowledge of the device’s location to be able to point at you.

Also - if this was the case - one wouldn’t be able to fly in weird and remote places - out at sea, for instance, like the famous footage from a round-the-world yacht race as it passed though the Southern Ocean. :wink:

This one …

1 Like

Well after reading the last reply’s I have a glimmer of a thought, when I was using the phone it was a old one of my wife’s that was mainly for the mavic, the only other thing I used it for was to send her pictures occasionally, therefor it had a basic pay as you go sim card, maybe that is why I was getting maps when out and the red arrow was correct in its orientation to me.

If this is the case the I-pad was a pretty expensive mistake and maybe I need to look at other options.

To test my theory I will go out tomorrow and take the phone and try it both with and without sim card, if no sim gives a wayward arrow I will have an answer.

Is it possible to link the phone to the I-pad and use the gps on the phone this way ??, I keep hearing about “hotspots” but not to sure exactly what this is or how to do it.
Thank you
Mouse

If you read the posts above, you’ll see that the SIM card won’t be the issue.
It’s the fact that the phone has GPS and the iPad doesn’t.

Nope - the GPS has to be in the device in use. The location data isn’t transferrable between devices. (Well not without far more faff than you’d want to bother with.)

One other (not cheap - but you’d need to research and compare cost options) is to get an external GPS device for the iPad. This would work.

However (and I’ve not looked at these in ages), having another device hanging on your iPad/RC could be very awkward - would probably need to be attached by Velcro to your iPad.

Possibly worth considering.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-GLONASS-Receiver-Position-Information/dp/B07M9CZYTD/ref=asc_df_B07M9CZYTD/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205239978166&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2665025547367717026&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006693&hvtargid=pla-612035283759&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Obviously - avoid getting one that needs to be connected to the (already in use) lightning connector.

I use a wifi iPad mini 4 and the radar display has never been an issue for me.

I’ll need to run some tests to see what you are talking about.

1 Like

Does yours have GPS?

No GPS.

1 Like