Yankee disco

Hello from Texas…can a bloke help out a yankee on his new disco?
I fly for many years now, first time with an autonomous fixed wing or any drone for that matter…I haven’t received my disco, just purchased out of UK today, but I’m seeing posts about “out of focus camera” and in the event mine has this issue, I dont have the luxury of returning it since its purchase was off Ebay…just curious of the fix in the event its bad…I think I saw a YouTube video but not sure…any advice would be appreciated

1 Like

My camera is out of focus in the winter but fine in the summer.

I’d say anything under 16C and it’s not at its sharpest, under 10C and it gets blurred.

Think most of the sharpness issues are temperature related.

Shouldn’t really be an issue for you in Texas :wink:

1 Like

I echo @callum sentiments.

In the main the Parrot Disco camera is quite capable but not cinematic. The Disco is more about the flight experience rather than trying to produce jaw dropping HD footage. Saying that in the right conditions, bright sunshine and clear skies it is very pleasing.

I bought my Disco in the Winter months and initially fell for the “camera is out of focus” rouse. Trust me, you don’t want to try adjusting the focus on this camera as it’s a lot more work than it’s worth. The consensus is that the glue they used to hold the camera lens is temperature sensitive and expands/contracts causing the lens to go out of focus. Knowing how minuscule this change would be you can appreciate how fruitless a task it would be to try and manually correct it yourself.

One solution I considered was to use a low powered heating element around the barrel of the lens. We use this technique with astronomical telescopes to reduce/prevent the build up of dew on the objective lens, hence they are commonly referred to as dew heaters. Probably easily done with a small strip of surface mount resistors.

All the above being said you state your location as Texas and as most of the State doesn’t experience the type of temperatures those of us closer to the Arctic Circle do (yet😉) I wouldn’t be too concerned. To be honest I very rarely view the recordings of my flights but rather stick to the actual flight experience while under the goggles.

Regards

Nidge.

2 Likes

Cool, thank you for responding…yes, I have heard that, but I was curious if the issue arose, I see most out of focus issues due to hard landings or hard nose ins…I’m just so darn excited and ready for that autonomous flying…looks so cool on videos, especially the long range 4G mods, not that I would do it, but so cool

1 Like

Thank you for that reassurance…you made me smile reading this about the temperatures here (not yet😉)…I caught that !
Yea, you guys are the veterans with the disco, mine is in transit but I can hardly contain my enthusiasm…you guys know what I mean…so cool

1 Like

Hi @Roc if you’ve got half an hour to spare, there’s bit of a mega thread on the Disco over here :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I may make a suggestion. For your first flight do it out in a wide open expanse. The Disco does need a little more area than a conventional RC plane and this is where a lot of folk become unstuck. That being said the semi autonomous landings can be done in a relatively short space when you have become used to the model.

It’s actually fun to see the looks on my more traditional RC plane buddies faces when I launch the Disco and walk away from the flight line to make a coffee :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nidge.

2 Likes

Cool, I shall review…thank you !@

1 Like

Lol, I bet they look like, wtf???
Yes, that’s what I plan, going to a LARGE field here, no trees and lots of nice soft grass…I purchased a belly protector just now off Ebay to preserve the fuselage…have ideas for that piece with a cool paint job, only on that piece, the plane will remain original…thanks for your advice, I welcome all input from this community…:ok_hand:

1 Like

You may have seen my YouTube video, I designed 3D printed threaded lens housing for the Disco camera.

Let me know once you’ve test flown your Disco, I’ve shipped some over the pond so to speak.

“Is this the video”

Yes is a matter of fact, I saw that yesterday…so this is basically to adjust focus, yes??