2.5inch toothpick build

Motor wires trimmed to length and soldered to the ESC and heat shrinked the capacitor to prevent a short on the carbon fiber frame.

And retro fitted the top plate to check clearance of the capacitor now that its heat shrinked.

Perfect fit! Happy with that! :grin: super neat!

Big thanks to @Steviegeek for the heat shrink suggestion. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Coming alone nicely Deano! Really looking forward to seeing her maiden flight :smiley:

1 Like

Long way off yet lol Still got the Camera, VTX and RX to wire up. Then I need to connect it to my computer to setup the motors to make sure they are spinning in the right direction setup my modes and configure the quad so that everything matches my radio like stick configuration ect ect. Still lots to do :+1:t2:

1 Like

This afternoons task was to make some motor wire protectors from a couple of old battered 5" props and some good old electrical tape.

All motor wires protected from prop strikes in the event of a crash. When you crash a drone the first point of impact is usually the props and they can bend downwards and when this happens they can strike the motor wires on the arms and they will cut straight through the wires. So I’ve done this to prevent that from happening.

All 4 arms and motor wires protected.

4 Likes

Very neat Dean :+1:
What a good idea to use old prop blades :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Cheers steve, I can’t take credit for the prop blades as I picked up the idea from one of Joshua Bardwell’s videos :ok_hand:t2: but it is a good cheap hack for protecting your motor wires :+1:t2:

1 Like

Good ol’ JB :laughing:

1 Like

Figured I’d weigh my quad along with all the parts that will eventually be attached to the quad to get a rough idea on what the overall take off weight will be once its complete.

There are a couple bits missing like a non slip battery pad that will be added so it is only a rough idea on the Total Take Off Weight.

1 Like

If you don’t mind what’s the tally in parts up-to price wise

1 Like

Just over £200 mate :+1:t2: although I have selected premium parts :+1:t2:

I’ve got a lighter lipo strap if you want it.

Actually I’ve got 2 of them lighter lipo straps :+1:t2: that was just the one that came with the frame lol

1 Like

Tonight’s task was to build my TBS VTX and RX mounting board. This had some pretty challenging soldering due to minuteness of the connections.

All the components laid out

VTX and RX soldered to the mounting board

Adding the wires that will eventually go to the flight controller

After this I think I need a break so that my eyes can re adjust to seeing normal size things again! Lol

6 Likes

Thanks for all the updates and photos @DeanoG60

Following this thread with interest.

3 Likes

It’s my first ever build and pretty much my first time doing any soldering. And I’ve got to say it is a great project for lockdown :+1:t2: I’m learning a lot myself along the way so hoping to pass on that learning experience :+1:t2:. :grin:

3 Likes

Tonight I finalised my wiring and connected my VTX/RX mount board to my flight controller, also wired up my FPV Camera to the flight controller as well. This pretty much finishes the wiring and soldering.

Looks like a birds nest of wires lol

Also added the TrueRC Video antenna and my Crossfire antenna.

This pretty much finishes the actual build of the quad.

I’m currently waiting for a smoke stopper to be delivered. This will stop me from blowing my boards if I’ve accidentally shorted something or got my wiring wrong. So I won’t be powering it up until my smoke stopper has been delivered. I’ve still got all the betaflight setup to do yet so I will be sure to post some screen shots of me setting up the quad in betaflight. Need to make sure that my motors are spinning in the correct directions and setup my OSD (on screen display, what info I will see on the screen in the goggles when I’m flying) also need to make sure that my stick inputs are correct last thing you want when you fly is to pitch forward and the quad rolls to the left lol

Hopefully my smoke stopper will be delivered tomorrow and I can get on with the setup :ok_hand:t2: almost finished and I’m itching to get it in the air :grin: and with it being less than 200g I can legally fly it down my street :grin:

5 Likes

That’s some nice neat soldering!

2 Likes

Make sure no wires vibrate onto the gyro chip :wink:

3 Likes

Looks like a great job you’ve done there Deano :ok_hand:t2:
What is a smokestopper? I reckon you should trust your skills and just power it up mate :wink:

1 Like

I’ve got 2 gyro chips :open_mouth: :joy:

1 Like