2018 Treasure Hunt Challenge

Whilst there is no “official @PingSpike” answer to this, the consensus of those that responded (2 of us) to the question before (around post 18) agreed that it was to one per pic.

Good thing i have multiple photo’s then! :sunglasses:

There’s probably a sand castle in that pic somewhere, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Alas, just the one :slight_smile:

Which would you like to enter it as @Woolnut?

I’d suggest claiming it as the hardest one you’d be able to re-do! If you can grab another beach photo then you should claim this as your Pier entry mate :+1:

Well I took a lot of beach photo’s on the holiday between the dates allowed, so I will submit another picture for the beach! Count this one as the Pier entry :+1:

1 Like

“Pier” …. or “Jetty”? :stuck_out_tongue:
That thought came to me and, believe it or not, there is a differential definition : “You could walk on a jetty, and cast a fishing line off the jetty, but you cannot moor a boat. To moor a boat you’d need a pier.”

Done! Leaderboard updated :+1:

It’s sticking out in to the water, we’ll grant it “Pier status” :smiley:

Besides, it’d be ten times easier to moor a boat to that pier than it would to Wigan Pier!

2 Likes

“Wharf” …. LOL!

A pier is a raised structure in a body of water, typically supported by well-spaced piles or pillars. Bridges, buildings, and walkways may all be supported by piers. Their open structure allows tides and currents to flow relatively unhindered, whereas the more solid foundations of a quay or the closely spaced piles of a wharf can act as a breakwater, and are consequently more liable to silting. Piers can range in size and complexity from a simple lightweight wooden structure to major structures extended over 1600 metres. In American English, a pier may be synonymous with a dock.

Source Wiki

I shall be very ambiguous in my Pier entry ;o)

You have me wondering about that one too Dave :thinking:

After all, it’s still technically a castle?

Nobody mentioned any construction material requirements :rofl:

/me watches everyone run off to build Windmills and Monuments out of sand

I will have a look through the photo’s… There must be one somewhere! :smile:

I suppose one could also argue that the beach meets the 100 years old requirement? (as you have probably guessed, I’m scraping the barrel here)

:wink:

It was my first intention for castle, actually, but need the sandy beach first, and I need to travel for that.
I guess I could raise a few eyebrows at the local Jewsons by turning up in their yard with the essential bucket and spade. :rofl:

When you complete your flight, press the record button to end the video, and you hear Litchi say “Recording started.”
You check the SD card to find a photo of the start point, too. #WrongButton :angry:

I have an excuse, the MP was being mobbed by seagulls quite aggressively, and I was too low above the sea for it to have time to recover if they made impact. It might not have recovered, anyway, but one has to keep one’s options open. :wink:

Second flight decided I needed full manual control, so stopped the Litchi mission almost straight away.
Got some video of the pier I was after, I’ll post later, but the seagulls weren’t giving up and it’s all too brief.

Shame the vid wasn’t recording the first time, it was a lot further/longer, and would have had some cool air-to-air combat.

I have another plan. //Extends parking on Ringo app …//

Edit: Should be enough time … LOL

Further edit: I thought they might give me some peace at 150m … but they had it in for me!

I thought that the sand constantly changed ;o)

OK, am in Northamptonshire today and tomorrow and I know they have loads of wind farms - so I packed Foxbat and kept an eye out. Saw a nice sized batch of whirly gigs, so found a place to park up.

Unfortunately, just after take off, I got set upon by a swarm of thunderflies! So I didn’t have much time to get a worldy! Bloody things were all over me, the controller and my tab!

Anyway, here is my offering…

2 Likes

Rather thunder flies bugging me than seagulls bugging the MP, any day! :+1:

Whilst out trying something else I grabbed a couple.

Heres my entry for 100 years old or more, Snaith Priory a couple of miles from me and very close to the beer shop. History of Snaith Priory

Second one is a lucky shot, I was playing with Litchi timelapse’s and this little electric train happened to get in one of the shots. Shot at Great Heck (couple of miles from me), that bridge is the point where the driver drove off the M62 and onto the main east coast line causing the Selby rail crash in 2001 Wiki details

5 Likes

Great entries guys!!!

@milkmanchris love the photo of the church :+1:

Looks like we have ourselves a tie for first place at the moment :smiley:

#9 - Pier

Hythe Pier and Train

So - Hythe Pier is in Southampton water, and a half-hourly ferry runs to-and-fro Southampton.

The pier is 640m long, and the narrow gauge (2ft) electric train dates from 1909, powered by a 240v electric third rail.

My intention, before seagull intervention (see above), was to use a Litchi “zip wire” and track the train the full length. The vid below was a third attempt flying totally manually … until I chickened (seagulled?) out.

I did hope that starting at the far end, the seagulls mainly loitering around the town end, I’d have better luck. But nope.

So perhaps they’d not follow me to 150m?
There was a brief pause in their endeavours to send me packing (another brief vid will be posted later) but I did get a “plan view” shot.

4 Likes

#10 - Reservoir

Testwood Lakes

“Reservoir” had me worried - I knew of none nearby.
Googling informed me that Hampshire has only one - Testwood Lakes - to the west of Southampton and fed from the River Test, run by Southern Water. https://www.southernwater.co.uk/testwood-lakes

Never taken a photo with the camera rotated to portrait mode, before … suited the view! Must use more often! :wink:

3 Likes