79 Years old New Member - Torquay

Then click on the location given.

Hi Rontorbay and welcome I live in the Bay over in Paignton and there are plenty of places to fly in the Bay. I often fly at Broadsands and Walls Hill to name just two places. I have never been bothered by anyone while flying my drone in places in the Bay.

Hi. Thank you. I have been to walls hill, but not to Broadsands with my uav. I used to fly a piper cub on floats at Broadsands but only in the off season where fewer people were present. Will shortly be going to Great Yarmouth for a week and hope to get some footage of the Broads.

Tried that. No result. I’ll try clearing cookies to see if that helps.

1 Like

Which platform are you using? Windows/MacOS/iOS/Android ?

Windows10, and Chrome. But I think it might be a cookie issue. Not at my pc at the mo’

1 Like

OK - using Win10/Chrome here without any issues.
Just advise us if you get nowhere and we’ll do something to get around it for you. :+1:

Now showing on members map. However, the location seems to be general rather than specific. Suits me though as it doesn’t show me swigging beer in my back garden

1 Like

Glad you managed to get onto the map. :+1:

Indeed - we discourage a location at house location level. It is only intended to be in the general locale so that it can give other members an idea who’s nearby, etc., and, in larger cites at a level where all the pins don’t end up in a great heap in the city centre. :wink:

Hi there Ron, love Torquay, had some good holidays there. If you sensibly with a drone and abide by the rules you should have no problem, going to fly mine close to Lands end later in the year, long beach at Senna Cove, will fly early in the morning hopefully will get some good shots.

May you have many more nice holidays and flights in Devon & Cornwall

I agree with you. Follow good instinct and best practice and just be courteous and respectful and your best intentions should orevail. I’m not going to say this is true in law, but one would hope so.

Yes, bylaws are often poorly worded and vague. The ones for Dartmoor however, are not (moors the pity, pun intended). Stoke Common, owned as common land by the City Of London has broken Web links to blank documents on its bylaws and so I consider them not to have any. I’m surprised at your comment about Hampshire and will look into this. If true, it should be challenged as a point of law and point of principal by ARPAS.

I hope the missing person was found? Well done for helping. Is search and rescue something you’re involved in with drones?

She was found but not as a direct result of our particular search. I’m involved with Denmead Drone Search and Rescue which is becoming an increasingly misleading title. The areas of search and the membership spreads far beyond Denmeadand drones are just part of the available resource. There are professional dog trainers, dog walkers and theirs and horse riders who are all willing to turn out to help search, subject to their other commitments.

At the moment with lush tree cover drones aren’t that effective in wooded areas. Flying over open land though normally provokes a reaction from people on the ground, they look up. If they turn and run for cover then there is a reason. We are available to search for people or missing animals. And, on a selfish and personal level it takes me and the dog out into areas we wouldn’t normally think of walking and allows me to fly my aircraft at times in places that are normally forbidden!

Hi Macspite. I’m really interested to learn more about this as its a field I’m keen to move into and help develop. Presumably lidar could be used for forested areas, alongside thermal? Could you drop me a line at jules@dgnfly.com as I’d love to chat more? Thanks.

giphy