A thread of general drone news

Which lead me to this

Which I don’t think I’ve seen any previous mention of, and surely, if true, has fairly huge implications on Drone Scene and similar applications.

1 Like

That article is two and half years old.

1 Like

True, and I haven’t looked closely at it, but some of our laws are hundreds of years old, so I’m not sure what your point is. :slight_smile:

My point is, the regs all changed on 31st December 2020 which means no click-bait article published two and a half years ago on a random web site will ever have any bearing, impact or implication on Drone Scene (or any other similar application) today.

2 Likes

OK. Wasn’t intending to upset anyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was there a particular piece of that article which you were concerned about under today’s regulations?

Maybe I’ve missed something? :man_shrugging:t2:

Wouldn’t be the first time :blush:

Sorry Jez, my earlier reply seemed a little curt, I just didn’t see the relevance of the old article to your suggestion of implications :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem. I was reading the parent article while still half asleep and saw that other one which obviously caught my attention. I did think that if the airport FRZ had increased drastically I’d know about it, but I just thought I’d throw it up there anyway, the underlying thought being that if this little bit of legislation had been snuck in it would be “interesting”.

And then it was time for work… :grin:

So, end result is that I’ve not properly researched anything and don’t currently have time to do so and am relying on people better informed than me to say it’s all tosh/been superceded, which you have done.

1 Like

Looks like the reflection of a helicopter to me. But you can’t hear a helicopter on the video…:wink:

2 Likes

Drone’s near miss with RAF plane

1 Like

The AirProx report can be found here - for info.

3 Likes

Police given ‘bazookas’ to shoot down rogue drones

Spookily enough, the crane in the Times’s photo featured in my nearly-lost-my-drone story from April 2021:
https://greyarro.ws/t/nearly-crashed-don-t-know-why-and-don-t-know-how-it-was-saved/31127

Perhaps they were trying out the new “bazookas” back then…

The weapons work by blocking signals from the devices’ controllers, and are capable of taking down planes.

Ah, sure, but it’s the drone that’s the threat to planes. Not some trigger-happy cop who thinks he’s Judge Dredd.

1 Like
3 Likes

He must have got a helluva shock when the cherrypicker with its floodlights appeared over the edge of the roof !

1 Like

They are assuming everyone uses a DJI WiFi or Ocusync system on 2.4GHz, and possibly 5.8GHz. I doubt very much their “Pulse Canon’s” are broadband and efficient enough to take down those that are operating on 433MHz, 868MHz, 915MHz, or those utilising LoRa correctly where a link can remain established even when it’s below the noise floor.

When a Government body has a little knowledge but very few facts chaos is bound to ensue. I wonder if the guy who sold the Government an empty box and two metal rods as a bomb detector had a hand in this.

2 Likes

We all need to stand up against anti-social drone flying. If we don’t, the knock-on effect will spoil it for those of us who fly responsibly.