A2 CofC courses

Thanks. That’s a shame.

Still would be useful to know the cheapest EU CofC training.

In this thread Flying in the EU

1 Like

Can’t see any CofC providers there? That thread is for CofT.

I’ve contacted Eurocontrol and EASA direct to see if they can advise where to find and EU A2 course so I’ll come back with any answers if I get them.

5 Likes

I decided to go down the article 16 route, I signed up and paid my dues to FPV UK.

Just a quick question for clarification after I had paid I done a 10 question online exam and it gave me the option to complete a practical examination, I have a few questions based upon the practical.

Is it mandatory that you conduct one in order to join FPV UK?
Is there a fee involved?
Once completed what does it entitle me do differently?

I know this isn’t strictly an A2CoC question.

Very interested as I live very near the border of Ireland.:+1:

3 Likes

@ziceman Hi Mark, I already have my IAA sticker on my drone along with the UK number. I’ve had it for 2 years and renewed it last September. It was the same number both times. The only problem is it’s a non-removeable security sticker so if you change drone and try to pick it off it will disintegrate. They have a test, similar to the DMARES, which I also took and passed, but the site wouldn’t let me register. The reason they gave was ‘you have to register in your country of residence’. From that I’m assuming that I still need to register for a flyer ID for my drones to fly in Ireland, but that my UK DMARES covers me for the competence aspect. I’ve flown in Carlow, Kilkenny and Donegal before with no issues, but not since the rule changes at the end of December. This link might help IAA drone FAQ

@TheFatController thanks Paul I took a quick scan and looks similar, I will go though it all at weekend. :+1:

I rang the CAA this morning on this exact point, and the theme of the answer was that it’s not for the CAA to say we can or can’t fly drones during lockdown, albeit it’s your issue if the police stop and speak to you and decide you’re not there for exercise. I’ll email them shortly and try to get an official response I can copy and paste here.

As a serving copper as well as drone geek (Mavic Air 2), I’ve got more interest than most in not dropping in the brown stuff over this. My personal view, and one I’d take if I was sent to someone else flying a drone would be, if flying it takes place during what is already reasonable exercise, then no issues. Case in point, I walk about 10 minutes to the local lake / nature reserve near me, fly my drone there while I walk round the lake, then walk home again. Valid exercise, no issues. If I drive 1/2 hour to somewhere else, get out, fly drone then get in car and go home again, not OK.

7 Likes

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020 have also been amended.

Whilst outdoor exercise is still allowed, either alone or with one other person, we are now no longer permitted to leave our homes to visit public outdoor places for the purposes of open air recreation. The definition of public outdoor places has also been amended and now no longer includes outdoor sportsgrounds or sports facilities.

*Outdoor sportsgrounds or sports facilities (*which includes model flying club sites and BMFA Buckminster) have also been added to the list of venues that must close.

So, whether you’re Old Bill or not, if you’re out flying, you’re breaking the law!

Forgot to put that these are the official words from the BMFA.

1 Like

Please keep this thread on the subject of A2 CofC courses and not the legalities of flying during COVID / lockdown.

Future lockdown-flying posts made in this thread will be deleted without notice or apology.

1 Like

Duly noted, my apologies. As and when I get a reply from the CAA, I’ll post it in a new thread.

1 Like

Just signed up with UAVHUB and used the 5% discount to get the course for £94
Looking forward to flying my Mavic Air in the A1 subcategory from my garden :smiley:

2 Likes

Just don’t be flying over peeps ;o)

1 Like

No plans to do that, I want a few of my house before I move then I’m looking forward to exploring the countryside from my new home, especially the church and surrounding fields all within VLOS from my garden.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve missed it above BUT UAVHub are currently offering their complete A2 CofC Theory Course - COMPLETELY FREE! That’s right - TOTALLY FREE! The only thing you don’t get are the mock exams, some bonus material, and other ‘end of course type stuff’.

You pay nothing - you can see if the learning is for you - if it is then you can pay for the mock exams, etc., and the actual exam to qualify. If it’s not for you then it costs you nothing but hopefully the info in the course will make you a more knowledgeable pilot.

I’m no way linked to UAVHub, simply a retired cop who intends to get back into drone flying after a couple of years off - and at this current time with the pandemic and lock-down, not being able to fly (even if I had one - roll on June/July), it’s perfect for me to get back up to speed with my knowledge at my own leisure, and thoroughly prepare for the exam in due course - FREE!

I’ve just completed the ‘mandatory’ intro videos - 5* from me.

1 Like

The course is comprehensive and you should be able to pass the exam easily even without the mocks. The £99 unlocks the examination module - mock exams and the nooking for the exam itself.

Well worth doing the mocks several times - to the point where no new questions appear to be coming up. Also where Matt Williams mentions something more than once - it’s a heavy hint to expect a question on the subject in the exam.

You have 75 minutes for a 30 multiple choice question exam. I had one question that I hadn’t previously expected and was careful to check that the answers to the rest went into the correct box - A, B, C or D - in case the answer was in a different place from the mocks.

You book your preferred time and date for the exam - it’s quite possible to do the entire course and exam in 2 days - and it’s advisable to take the full 15 minutes to login so as to check that the conferencing software works. You’ll need a webcam that can be used to show your desk area is clear of ant study aids, you are the only person in the room and once that is done you need to sit and can’t get up or out of the camera frame until you have finished the exam. You can use a lapyop with a built in camera as long as you are happy to whirl it around your head to show the room - a wee bit like the blind man swinging his guide dog around the shop when he was “just looking”

The proctor oversees your exam and notices when you are finished so, if you only take 5 minutes that’s all the time you will be sat still. Your result is posted straight away, your certificate is emailed to you, normally a couple of hours later unless you have taken the exam out of office hours.

Check what aircraft you can cly where with an A2 CofC on GADC’s own Good 2 Go - and check what freedom you get combining the A2 with Article 16 Authorisation which is easily obtained via the BMFA or FPVUK

8 Likes

Got the free ‘Masterclass’ offer for the original £99 so signed up. Taking my time but already 40% through the course. :grinning:

1 Like

Unfortunately the Drone Masterclass hardly covers anything that us not covered in the A2 CofC and half an hour on YouTube can teach you the rest. I did the Drone Masterclass this evening in about an hour.

I agree but it was free.

3 Likes