A2 CofC courses

I think neil79 got his exam tomorrow with UAVHUB hopefully he will let us know how long it takes for him to get his certificate good luck Neil.

Thatā€™s because results have to be checked and UAVHub donā€™t work over the weekend. My exam was also on a Friday and I was emailed my certificate the following Monday morning.

1 Like

The wording in the regs for flying in A2 is:

be performed by a remote pilot who is familiar with manufacturerā€™s instructions provided by the manufacturer of the UAS and holds a certificate of remote pilot competency issued by the CAA or entity designated by the CAA

My emphasis in bold.

Issued by the CAA or entity designated by the CAA.

Its that issued bit I think thatā€™s the key part. I hold the qualification but the cert has yet to be issued.

Yeah but do you hold the certificate?

Well yes, but its not been issued yet.

When you pass your driving test you can drive a car. It takes the dvla a while to post it to you but you can drive from that moment.

You hold the licence even though you are not yet in physical possession of it.

Yes but you have the tear off slip the examiner gives you which acts as your licence until full one arrives

Canā€™t remember Iā€™m 45 itā€™s been 28 years. Just remember it taking ages and itā€™s not the licence, but you do hold a licence at that point.

I do have my proctor thank you and congratulations e mail. But again thatā€™s not the issued cert.

Certainly been an interesting question though :slightly_smiling_face:

On the subject of taking the exam, I believe the consensus is one has to have a portable webcam to prove that nobody is hiding under your desk to help you out. Is this true? I only have the standard webcam attached to my iMac which Iā€™m happy to swivel around the room but Iā€™m not prepared to pay for a portable webcam to show people I donā€™t know the inā€™s and outā€™s of my room!!
Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks.

2 Likes

You need to be able to show your desk and the room you are in. If you have a fixed webcam but can move the computer to show everything thatā€™s ok/

That sounds OK. I have too many cables attached to make it practical and sensible to buy a webcam just for the exam. Thanks

Exactly what I did

They also asked to see the 4 corners of my screen, to do this i used a mirror.

Jimmymac, what a brilliant idea!! Iā€™ll do just that. Thanks

Just finished passed but waiting for confirmation email which can take 3 working days. All good tho :+1:. Hope you all have a smooth exam.

6 Likes

OK so any recommendations for the best A2 CofC course, bearing cost in mind also. Has anyone done it yet?

I have done it with coptrz, they are the cheapest I have found at Ā£59, the course is free with them but you pay the Ā£49+vat for the exam.
They have some OTT requirements though, you have to send them 4 hours of logged flight time, 2 hours of which must be after you enrol on the course. This isnt too difficult normally but under the lockdown its a question of you having access to an A3 area to go and log them. They wont let you sit the exam until you have handed in your logs and they have checked them.

2 Likes

@SkyJumper I have moved your question to an existing thread on this subject, rather than taking that other thread wildly off topic.

Scroll up for advice.

1 Like

Are EU A2 CofC qualifications valid in the UK?

I found this on Heliguy, appears not