Above the clouds at night ✨

I was hoping for a clear night this evening to do some astrophotography, but Swindon is covered in a blanket of mist and low cloud. If I can’t shoot from below the clouds, I will shoot from above them :man_shrugging:

So I took the opportunity for a night time peekaboo :wink:

22 Likes

Those pics are absolutely amazing ! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks Martin, it was a lot of fun. For few seconds, I thought the clouds would carry on forever, but finally … out I came. Being up there at night is a heck of an experience, almost ethereal.

1 Like

Amazing photos, quite surreal.

1 Like

Fascinating images. I’ve read of the M2 having problems dealing with flying back down through mist and landing again, did you cover over the sensors to prevent that ?

1 Like

Hi Paul, no, I made no changes, never do. It’s probably my 5th times above the clouds, and happy to report I have never had an issue with returning through the clouds due to the sensors.

1 Like

Love that pano!

1 Like

Thanks @kvetner … thanks, though not the best due to low light, and lack of detail for stitching/aligning.

1 Like

Very well done that man ! I’m tempted but I need lots more playing first. :grin:

1 Like

It is simple, only have to use the left stick :wink:

Fantastic photos, Chris. I don’t think I,d have the nerve for a flight like that. Flying at night is one thing but through clouds as well. Well played mate. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, Chris! After a few ‘peekaboos’ … it gets easier. But this was my first at night :grimacing:

1 Like

great views and i agree with some of the guys, lots bottle/nerve needed to do that at night. need more daytime practice first lol

1 Like

Thanks, Barry. I was the same a year ago, before you know it, you’ll be up there :wink:

That’s the last flight for now, the M2 is taking a well deserved rest.

How wet was it when it came back? Just thinking DJI might try and say water damage and fob you off?

1 Like

Wet? Dry as a bone.

Cool. Took mine up in the morning mist/low cloud yesterday and was surprised at how wet it was when it came back!! Although if I’d used basic GCSE Science forethought, I shouldn’t have been surprised, but that’s being boring.

1 Like

There is a big difference between morning an evening with moisture. In the morning, everything is heating up, causing condensation and evaporation of surface moisture. That’s not the case in the evening. To be fair, what I flew through was not mist, but low cloud.

It also depends on temperature generally. I’ve flown through mist and had the drone come back with ice on the edges of the props.

It looked like this above:

But like this down below:

So you can probably guess fairly easily when this will be a risk!

1 Like