Another hello from Poole!

Hi guys

Totally new to drones- My Mavic Mini arrives tomorrow! Itching to get out but figure I can learn some skills at home and in the garden until the lockdown lifts- then planning some inland low flying before going near the windy coast!
Followed a link to here from mavicpilots.com and already checked out dronescene- how cool is that?!!
Done loads ot research (though you can never do enough right?!!), and watched hours of youtube videos, can’t wait to get some flying hours under my wings (or rotors?!!)
Any not-so-obvious tips greatly appreciated :wink:

P

2 Likes

Hi there

I’m new here too! Just got my Mini a few days back and clocked about 4 hours flying time so far!

Best tip that nobody seems to mention I’ve found is - put your phone into airplane mode while flying. To save battery and annoying interruptions!

I live in Oxfordshire

1 Like

Oh yeah - Dont fly with fingers and thumbs like a video game. Much better to hold each stick with forefinger and thumb for supreme stick control.

1 Like

Hi Paul / @lurch003, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

An ever increasing number of our members also own the Mavic Mini … so you are amongst good company and a wealth of knowledge on that particular model.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Thank you, just been looking at the map and added myself- love the zoomed out UK view showing multiple users all around and just lonely Lee with the whole of Cornwall to himself !!!

2 Likes

I read about airplane mode- I’d already thought about it… Imagine having to click on something on the screen and it gets blocked by a notification and then you lose the drone! Top tip, thank you !

I’d seen in a few videos that most fly like that, wondered if it felt normal or if a lanyard might help- but don’t think the controller has clips for that??

1 Like

No clips but the design is great and it fits hands really well. I find a lanyard hurts my neck a bit even with the old FM transmitter on my thermal and slope soarers.

1 Like

Welcome to GADC Paul.

2 Likes

Hi Wavecloud, and there’s me thinking you’ll never find me on here!! Enjoy the forum and if you come up my neck of the woods bring your SUP and mini and try filming ourselves on the water :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum to the both of you, as @anon63544368 mentioned forefinger and thumb gives maximum control If you can get used to it but very easy to fall into the habit of thumbs only and to be honest i am thumbs only :face_with_hand_over_mouth::shushing_face: i find it more comfortable and get all the control i need for what i like to do.

Your in good hands here, very nice bunch of folks and very helpful don’t forget to use the search option before posting, there’s a good chance you wont be the first or last person to ask what ever query it is you might have should anything arise.

Happy flying :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome both!

2 Likes

Welcome @lurch003 and @anon63544368 to GADC from one of the old farts !.
Great to have you aboard, fell free to ask any questions you may have, someone will almost certainly have an answer for you.
Happy flying, let’s hope we all can get out soon to fly our drones.

1 Like

Hi Paul

Phil from Bournemouth, message me if you want, I have a Mavic 2 Pro, your Mavic Mini’s big brother.

Take care and stay at home for now, we could get together when the virus thing goes away.

Phil

3 Likes

Hi @lurch003 pleased to have you on board. Sorry I got distracted by @anon63544368 :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Hi @lurch003, just joined yesterday… I live in Southbourne but work in Poole.
I have owned a Mavic Pro since November and am definitely still learning.
I have managed to get some nice photos of West Quay Road and videos of the Twin sails bridge open.
Enjoy the Mini

2 Likes

Have you got a link to your vids? Would love to take a look!
I work near fleetsbridge so have been having a little practice in the car park on breaks at work (my way of not breaking the lockdown rules!). Only as high as my nerves allow so only glimpsed holes bay until I get more used to it

1 Like

Hi @lurch003, I have nothing live at the moment as my editing stills are minimal while I learn.
I’ll try and post some more stills of the stuff I’ve done, as that’s a lot easier through Imgur.
Not sure what the regs are here, but a Google Drive link may be handy later on.

“Only as high as my nerves allow so only glimpsed holes bay until I get more used to it”- I’m still amazed how little altitude you need to see the sea, where it looks impossible at ground level.
That has been a major revelation for me as a new flyer.

Keep practicing, and do watch @ianinlondon vids on youtube, he’s been an inspiration to me.

He’s also got loads of good MM content which is well worth watching if you’ve not seen it.

@SkyJumper, I’m envious of your M2P camera. As a DSLR photographer historically, the MP photo controls are good, but flying at dawn and dusk, I am seeing quite a lot of shadow noise in my images. Shooting raw helps, but that bigger sensor and Hasselblad colour algorithm should help on that front.

2 Likes

I tried a couple- for some reason every youtube advert I get now is for filmora which looks great but is way more than what I need at the moment! I tried Icecream video editor- very basic and just drag and drop but quite a few easy to learn features and makes my amateur filmings look very professional ! On my few flights, I’ve tried to get video so I can go back over it and learn from my mistakes- one thing I’m not overly keen on is that you have to stop recording to take a pic… dunno the ins and outs of the software but assumed it would take a photo whilst recording. It’s not the end of the world, just a ballache having to stop recording, go to camera, then take photo, then few more presses back to recording !

I’ve watched a lot of Ian’s videos- very informative guy and has fun with it! Watched the Dover one where he lost his drone last night… Absolutely gutted for him but he was still upbeat and educating others to learn from his mistake.

We are fairly close to the sea which helps seeing it- from my work it’s literally less than 100m as the crow flies! Surprised when I went up over Parkstone to only 30m ish that I could see the Purbecks to the South.

I’ve stupidly made a list of local places that would be great to drone- problem is, it just winds me up at the moment as I can’t go to any of them!!! They’ll still be there when this lockdown lifts though- people dying is a tad more important than me wanting to fly!

Stay safe :wink:

P

1 Like

I’ve been through my photos and will pop some up in a bit.
I seem to have taken loads, so am being quite selective.

@Tidepool
Hi

Phil here, I also live in Southbourne, on the Christchurch side. Nice to meet you online at least, once this virus thing clears up it would be nice to get together.

I started with a second hand Mavic Pro I got on eBay about two years ago after having had a quick go with one in India, I have loved it ever since. I upgraded to the Mavic 2 Pro towards the end of last year, again second hand on eBay. Not had much chance to fly since though, I got out on Christmas Day but only once since I think.

I was a bit of an amateur photographer so the chance of getting in the air was not to be missed. Despite all the rules and regs it is still worth the effort. I have got into video which I never thought I would, the editing is a bit of a challenge, but love having something new to learn.

Anyway it would be nice to get in touch, and with @lurch003, Paul either here or by private message.

Take care and keep safe.