Antenna Tracker Build Thread

It wont let me access it. But I’m already on the design…
I’ve copied a pan / tilt from thingiverse and I’ll see where I go from there.

1 Like

This has been ordered

Karl can you share the code? Is it on github

2 Likes

I have used the below files as a starter for the mechanics of this tracker. It takes a little bit of machining with a dremel as the model is designed to high tolerances.
I printed my own servo horns to fit too. I now need to modify the pan servo to enable it to rotate 360 degrees as the elevation servo on this model will only go 90 degrees.

Antenna Tracker servo horns.zip (42.9 KB)

4 Likes

Been having a play with the code.

Might see if I can use it with my self build

Got the code to compile after some :scream: :joy:

1 Like

It was a pain getting all the libraries in place for me. Still very much a beginner with arduino and sketches

2 Likes

It’s the same with any new board and new code

I always end up with a fooking headache :joy:

I’m going to ask a very dumb question, but it is a serious one and not intended as jibe on this interesting build. But what is this for, what can you do with it and why?

1 Like

Its mainly for fpv long range. The antennas for the video feed at a good distance need to point directly at the drone / plane for a good signal.
This device will basically point the antennas, which will be on a tripod, at the drone and continuously track it in the sky.

1 Like

Aahhh I see, quite clever!

1 Like

I modified the pan servo for 360 degree travel. However, the software does not know where to put the servo now, or rather, the servo doesn’t know where it is (unless I’m missing something).

Its either:
Buy a 360 servo;
Modify the tilt for 180 degree travel;
or live with 180 degree pan and 90 degree tilt.

As this tracker is for long range in front of me, I’ll take the 3rd option for now.

1 Like

If your servo pair is of the 180 degree type, be sure to comment out line that looks like
this: //#define Az_Servo_360

Note that the elevation (180 degree) servo flips over to cover the field-of-view behind
you when the craft enters that space.

If your servo pair comprises a 360 degree azimuth servo and 90 degree elevation servo, please
un-comment the line that looks like this: #define Az_Servo_360. 360 degree code contributed by macfly1202

1 Like

Yeah done that. But I changed to code to 180 az and 120 ev :+1: I can’t get 180 tilt on my model

On bootup it seems the servos only do a 180 and 90 test, is this what you are getting

void TestServos() {
delay(1500);
moveServos(0, 0); // az, el
delay(1500);
moveServos(90, 0);
delay(1500);
moveServos(90, 90);
delay(1500);
moveServos(90, 180);
delay(1500);
moveServos(90, 0);
delay(1500);
moveServos(180, 0);
delay(1500);
moveServos(azStart, elStart);

Yeah. I changed the el on mine because my frame is limited to 120. Seems odd that its not linked to the angle you define in config.h.

The test in the servos tab, i guess, needs modifying to your own setup.

Still learning mind

1 Like

Further up the servo tab is a reverse function. Im not entirely sure its correct.

Just printing parts now to put this thing together for a proper test. The whole thing will have a small ttgo t-display, bn880 gps, 5v bec and 2 servos. The bottom will screw into a 1/4" bolt on the tripod. Not really much to it to be honest.

3 Likes

Final wiring, build and servo test.
I have no video rx on it yet. But it will be tested later today to see if it tracks a drone.

4 Likes

Mate thats a pukka job right there :clap:t2:

2 Likes