Anybody familiar with Portsmouth?

Many years ago I worked on cruise ships. One of my old ships is in Portsmouth tomorrow. Is there a sensible place to fly from to get some pics. I don’t know the area well enough to use NATS.

Hi Lee. Is it a ship already docked or one due in? That may have a bearing on where you want to be for best viewing. I’m a member of Hampshire Drones on Facebook - you might want to try there as wll - I’ve aked the question for you to get things moving :slight_smile:

Great thanks. She’s actually due in on Friday morning rather than tomorrow. I was assuming that the pier area would be too close to the naval sites so is probably out. Ideally I would have liked a couple of “at sea” shots so the link from Ozonevibe would work, but if I could get a shot at the pier too that would be great.

Selection_529

If the ship is entering in daylight, there are excellent points along Southsea that give good access.

Probably from where Richard flew for these excellent shots …

2 Likes

chrome_PjjM4MtT2n

2 Likes

That’s great, thanks!

1 Like

Ah, I got here too late to help. Gilkicker point is where I flew from in Gosport

1 Like

Not too late! Time and circumstance have stopped me. She’s in again a few times over the next couple of weeks

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

I think there’s a few of you on here from around the Portsmouth area - I’ve seen some great shots. I wondered if anyone had any good takeoff locations / ideas for some shots looking back towards the Spinnaker Tower etc? I think looking at the map, somewhere near the South Pier?

Cheers

Moved your post to this pre-existing thread asking the same, and offering some ideas for around that area.
Others may add more ideas.

I went from this spot in the end. It’s a really good place. 500m is roughly half way across the harbour entrance so you could get some great views. Beware of the gulls!

1 Like

Bump.

I’m down in Portsmouth next week for a very fleeting one day visit as part of some project work coming from London the day before.

Would obviously love to get the drone up, time and weather permitting. Hotel is in the Gunwarf Quays area so I’m guessing pretty much most of the TOAL points listed above are within walking distance.

Main question is, has much changed in the past 2 years since the last post in this thread? Especially in regards the yellow Military Zones?

Any better locations that for whatever reason are not on DS?

The major change in the last two years is the proliferation of sub 250 gram drones which open up the possibilities of flying in the city.

The military side of things hasn’t changed although check on DS in case of NOTAMS, some ship movements or heli flights are sensitive.

And the area has been fairly well covered for sites of interest. If you are pressed for time I’d suggest a walk down to the Garrison Church to see the boats depart the harbour, a wander back up to Spice Island and get a pint at the Still&West or the Spice Island Inn and fly from the sea wall - the Spinnaker Tower should be lit up in the evening and then back to your hotel.