Artefacts in 4K video on DJI Mini 2

As founder member of The Goldfish Memory Myth Group, please see this. Blast, can’t remember why I posted this now.

2 Likes

It can be more noticable - I think the main factor is the colour behind though I guess it’s also possible some units are worse than others.

I agree that if you’re purely a leisure user it’s not a big deal at all.
But for commercial use (and I think the Mini 2 has lots of potential for pro use) it is an issue and really needs fixing.

OK… think of something stupid that has poor memory, that’s me!

Especially given that the majority watch either on their phones or a tablet.

For the above examples I had to go hunting on a 27in 5k Retina iMac screen.

I’m pretty certain they will fix it, after all its not a hardware issue otherwise surely it would show up in all resolutions and still images that use the whole of the sensor.

1 Like

It might not be a hardware issue per se but I wouldn’t assume that necessarily means they can fix it in firmware. Pure speculation but they haven’t fixed it yet so it may depend on where DJI’s own software and the firmware of the imaging module they bought and adapted begins and ends. Definitely not a big deal for me personally, though.

It really isn’t a big deal, just crop in a touch and it’s gone.

I have never had a client say to me that is has to be 4k. There’s talk of “high quality” etc but not once have I been asked about 4k. I think a lot of people are getting very hung up on something for no reason. If you’re uploading to YouTube then you’re not really that concerned about video quality in the first place, so why die on the 4k hill? I shoot in 4k 10-bit so have a bunch of corrections to do on every single clip, it’s just part of how I edit. Putting a minor zoom on your footage is no big deal. Nobody is counting the pixels, and if maintaing the number of horizontal pixels is important to you, throw on a set of blanking bars to make it look like widescreen and you’ll cover the blemish with no loss of resolution.

As I said earlier, it shouldn’t be there but it’s really not a deal breaker if you edit accordingly.

“Aspect Ratio Bars | GraphicsCrate” Aspect Ratio Bars | GraphicsCrate

1 Like

I pretty much agree. It isn’t a big deal and definitely not a deal breaker.

Even if they never fix it I’ll happily to hold on to my M2 and as you’ll say I’ll just make a crop in part of my workflow.

I just disagree with those who say it’s not an issue at all.
It means if I ever supply the raw footage I have to warn the client that the glitch is there.

A £500+ product promising clean 4k footage shouldn’t have a visible artefact on that footage. DJI have a duty to fix it if at all possible - and we shouldn’t let them off the hook too lightly just because there are workarounds. Just my humble opinion.

1 Like

Handbrake/resize the crop out they’ll never know.

In 40 years of selling photographs there’s not many customers

(a) I’ve let have a raw image, file or negative.

(b) Sold a print to thats never had a correction of some sort.

It is an issue, and there is a workaround at the moment that adds less time than it takes to charge a battery.

Have you raised a ticket with DJI? (I know I have)

2 Likes

Found this

DJI acknowledge fault and it will be fixed in next software upgrade.

1 Like

But that was a month ago and the next firmware update already happened.

1 Like

Better thread here

1 Like

I’ve emailed DJI and got what I presume is a standard reply:

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. All of your valuable feedbacks have been forwarded to the R&D department for their special attention. They are trying their best to work on this issue and this issue will be resolved in the future firmware. At present, we recommend you shoot 2.7K videos to avoid this issue.

DJI will sort this issue out as soon as possible. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

DJI Customer Support

Heads up, today’s firmware update claims to fix this issue:

6 Likes

Will stop a lot of people moaning.

1 Like

Until they find something else… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just updated my firmware. Took a short video against a highlighted background (white blind) as its bloody raining again!! Artifacts are not obvious in the resulting video. I’m sure some one must have some blue sky somewhere so hopefully the results will start coming in of testing.

Seems to be mended, because the scientist in me forgot, I never did a before and after.

Maybe someone else - @ianinlondon perhaps could for a few more clicky likey ?

2 Likes

I am grey and cloudy. And the weather’s crap too… but I will try! :laughing:

1 Like

Looking at the stuff I’ve shot @ianinlondon anything bright shows up the artefacts even a bright grey sky through a window.

Whatever happens, it seems to be fixed, not that any of us noticed it in the first place ;o)

4 Likes

Just did a quick test flight and the artefact is gone.
Hurrah!! Well done DJI.

2 Likes